The little obligatory ballerina
So this was Lena's first ballet recital. Not exactly as I might have pictured it. This year had been her first in a "real" studio. That is one where the older girls are competitive and regularly win throughout the region and nation. After shopping around for the best fit for us, I picked this one because they not only are very good, but they claim to encourage each girl's positive self image and development. They also claimed to choose "modest" dance wear and age appropriate choreography for their dancers. So far most all of it has proven true!
The one thing that has been a bit of an emotional punch in the gut for me has been the fact that Lena has virtually no interest in it. Throughout the year she whines before EVERY practice, she never wants to practice at home, and she basically shows little interest when there. This is my first big shock with my child. I grew UP dancing. I started when I was 3, and I danced into college. I LOVED and still LOVE to dance. And so far it doesn't seem that Lena has caught the fever...unless it is a high fever so she can get out of class that day.
I am hoping that with a couple more years of dance she might find the enjoyment out of it, and maybe her coordination (which at this point seems to not be switched on) will kick in as well. Either way, I know that doing dance will help her grow in ability and movement.
Today was a bit sad for me, I guess because the joy for it all wasn't there for her, it seemed more like a chore than an exciting event. But looking on the bright side, I am trying to believe that she really did her best out there and that all we can do is show her all the support and love afterwards that we can, and maybe someday she'll want more with it. And if not, I'll be okay with that too.





No comments:
Post a Comment