~...becoming a ballroom competitor, I am literally dancing my way through being a mom, wife, homeschooler, and more ~

Monday, May 10, 2010

The evolution of my dance.
~
I am so excited to be dancing. (You didn't notice, did you?) I was talking with my Dance instructor Michael about what my goals are today. What I do know and can say with all honesty is that I want to become the absolute best dancer I can become within my capacity and time. I want to be able to create a visual art form that is both as fulfilling for me to create as it is to watch. That is my ultimate goal.
This weekend we were visiting some antique stores...and I was looking at certain pieces that I liked and I thought...I could be buying a lot of this stuff if I wasn't dancing. I could be ordering custom upholstered furniture if I wasn't dancing. I could buy more chandeliers if I wasn't dancing. Just thinking about it for a moment made me get a tiny knot in my stomach. I LOVE gorgeous furniture. I love chandeliers. You KNOW that. But then, I thought about what I would do if I wasn't dancing. And it made me want to cry. I can't stop dancing! It's more than a physical object of art.
It's both art and therapy, excersize and life creation. It's giving life to my body in a way that nothing else could. I am learning to make something beautiful...and sometimes it feels like I am climbing a mountain I will NEVER reach the top of. But that is ok. I realize that because I watch other dancers who are able to make something beautiful...and just like Nester says...it applies to dancing just as much...It doesn't have to be PERFECT to be beautiful. I believe that. I know I will not ever achieve perfection. But beauty comes with imperfection and heart and soul.
That is what I feel when I dance,or even teaching or taking my wonderful Zumba classes. I am healed of all depression! I have struggled with depression in the past. I have fought it off and on for years...and for the past almost year and a half that these things have been a part of my life...depression and any signs of it have vanished.VANISHED!!! Can you believe that? It's truly a sign to me that it is MEANT for me to do these things. And as much as I may LOVE antique treasures and crystal sparkling lights...it can't touch what dance has done for me. Healing.
~
I feel so grateful for that...and I pray that God will allow me to be involved in it as long as I possibly can be. =) Where will it take me? I don't know. Whether it becomes a career for me someday I don't know, but I do see it as a distinct possibility. Sharing something you love with others seems quite natural. I think I could love teaching it to others. I see my life as needing to dance. Not WANTING to dance, (though I do) but NEEDING it. Like water and air.
It will be a large part of my life for the foreseeable future, and I am perfectly pleased about that.

2 comments:

Chapman Channel said...

I know this makes you incredibly happy, but it kinda makes me sad to think that it fills you up more than your family or other talents you previously enjoyed...or at least it seems to be that way lately--please prove me wrong! xoxo

Rachel H said...

Well I hope you know that is not accurate! I love decorating too...but now is my time for dancing!Decorating is obviously more on my back burner now. And unless you hear about me flying a plane to NYC to live in some studio and dance my life away...I think I'll probably still be busy being a mom and wife for most of my days...just accented and highlighted with my dancing!!It is theraputic to me, as I would think you'd see by the fact that I am happier about life. Dancing has made me a better mom, wife and person in general I'd say. When you feel like smiling all the time, I'd say that's a good thing. SO there lady.