~...becoming a ballroom competitor, I am literally dancing my way through being a mom, wife, homeschooler, and more ~

Monday, September 11, 2006

Not forgetting a day of tragedies and heroism.

I was deeply saddened as most everyone else was by the events of Sept 11, 2001. I was on complete bedrest with my first child, a couple months away from my due date. I was confined, therefore I did little else but read and watch the television. I saw it as the planes struck the twin towers, which as a flight attendant I had been in only briefly one time on a long layover in NYC. I LOVE NYC though, and always have since I first went there and found it to be a beautiful, interesting, and different place than the small farmy town in Ohio that I grew up in. I love the seemingly never ending spectacle of buildings that dissapear into the horizon when you stand on the street and look in one direction. The feeling of being enclosed by glass, marble, granite, cement, and knowing there were so many people right there, all living and working. It was exciting and mesmerizing to me the first time I went there. I felt like I could live there and love it. I always wanted to try a big city like New York. On that day I watched in complete unbelieiving that these things could be happening in our wonderful and good country. HOW? How could this ever happen to people like us? I sat every day transfixed on every program that aired for the next months. I remember weeping for the whole first week. It was a shocking time for the free world. Our innocence did feel comprimised as we all realized that our lives are not what we think they are. It was a frightening experience to realize that other people are working day and night to come up with ideas for destroying all that we hold dear. Sometimes it takes hard things to get people to wake up. To realize what a gift we have. I know our freedom is a great blessing from a gracious and loving Heavenly Father and I know we will be blessed for trying to protect ourselves from their hate. Thank heavens for our precious freedoms in America.

No comments: