~...becoming a ballroom competitor, I am literally dancing my way through being a mom, wife, homeschooler, and more ~

Friday, December 15, 2006

A grateful heart
I just have to stop every now and then and be thankful. I think Christmas time brings that out in a lot of people. It is so easy to get caught up in the tricky parts of life, to get all tangled up in all the things that may not be going exactly how we "thought" they would. But this season, I have let my guard down, I think because at a certain point I just have to stop being so anal! I am easily too obsessed with the decorations, the dinner parties I would like to have, the hand made, embossed Christmas cards I HAVE to make, all the perfect presents to put together.
I preface the rest of this post with the explanation that I often am not as positive as I ought to be. I come from a long line of "if you assume the worst, at least you won't be let down" thinking women. My Great Grandmother Lena, who died only a year ago, was very good at this style of thinking! And she passes that survival-ist mentality down to my grandmother, and my own mother, and now of course, me. Not in every case, but to some extent I can be like that. And so I feel the need to just get out of that and talk about all the amazing things in my life!!
When my husband and I first got married, I remember how freeing it was to feel like no matter WHAT, we could make it through, because I was so happy in love that the strength of our love would outweigh the pain or difficulty of anything else. After 10 years, I have had to be reminded sometimes that it is true. But I know it is. I know that Mark and I have something so special, it is not everyday that you'll find a couple more alike than us. We have this fantastic connectedness to us.
This year I am grateful to be alive. I am thankful every day that my family and extended family is safe, healthy, and happy. I am grateful for all the good things that fill me up every day. I love to get down to that basic place where I think about how much my life is enriched by my two children. Their lives are such a beautiful extension of mine.
My husband is so wonderful. He is eternally optimistic. He is happy and kind and patient and understanding. I am so lucky to have him. Occasionally he reminds me that no one else on earth could love me like he does. I love it when he does that too. I am so grateful for him.
On top of that I have all this extended family, that is not only mine but Mark's and they all are great too! I have the world's nicest parent's in law. They always show such acceptance and love and kindness. They are very good people. And luckily my own siblings and I get along so amazingly! We are like peas in a pod. When we get together it is like a great big party, always loud and laughing and silliness. Or deep talks about anything in the world. Forever support! The best!
And it strikes me how when I make this post I haven't mentioned my gratefulness for our material possessions. We have been blessed, that is true. But I do know when all is said and done, none of that will matter.
A grateful heart and an optimistic one go hand in hand I believe. I don't think you can have one without the other. With more practice, I know I can let this way of thinking become mine!

No comments: