~...becoming a ballroom competitor, I am literally dancing my way through being a mom, wife, homeschooler, and more ~

Thursday, September 06, 2007

Lateness is a genetic abnormality.
I'd like to think that I have somehow overcome the deep familial trends of lateness, well- at least when I REALLY REALLY try, I have been able to overcome it in the past. I know that in order to be on time, I usually need to add about 1 hour on to the actual time it takes me to get ready. I am all but sure that my own mother will even in spirit form arrive late to observe her own funeral. I think her "inner clock" is set about 1 hour off. Several years ago, when I was a flight attendant, I finally learned how to get somewhere early. Because it was the first time in my life where an entire plane of people would be affected if I was late. So I learned to be early. THAT was, of course, before I had children.
Trying to be on time somewhere with children, by myself. Well, that's a whole 'nother ball of wax. I have done it before, I mean, I could probably count on one hand the times. But Today was going to be different. Lena's First Day of kindergarten. BIG DAY, right? It kinda started a little off as our power went out just as I was getting up. So ALL my clocks were off. No problem- I'd just watch the cell phone. That's right on. We were almost completely ready, putting on shoes and taking pictures, and my cell phone said "9:00" . Her class started at 9:15 and we live less than 5 minutes to school. We hopped in the car, walked into school and as I started down to her classroom, an office lady said- "Oh- you'll need to sign in!" I was thinking- Every single day I have to sign in for school? That seems strange? I said-
"Oh- well, I am walking her to class so I can get a picture with her teacher, etc.."
Office Lady looked at me with no mercy, " Well, her class is in session so you won't be able to do that today. I'll just take her down to her class now. "
WHAAT!? Started? I looked at her clock- it was 9:22. I brought my own daughter to her FIRST day of kindergarten LATE!! How sad is that? I made it out of the school, before I could call my sister and start weeping into the phone, "I just feel soooo bad! How could I have such time issues? ALL my clocks said we were ON TIME! "
I don't know how and don't know know why- but some people are doomed to be late.. I will keep trying. From here on out we are going to shoot for a 1/2 hour early to be ready to go. Hopefully I can overcome the dreaded lateness genes.

No comments: