Yesterday we had a combined birthday for Lena's 6th and her cousin Addie's 4th. It was kind of haphazard and totally not planned perfectly as I have done in the past. I have been too overloaded to particularly party plan lately, so between my sister, myself and my mom, we threw this one together, and sure enough, the kids had a great time. We had it at a metro park, where we took the kids pony-riding. Lena and her cousins loved it. Dane was for some reason afraid of the pony. So after sitting on it and weeping, we let him off.
It was originally supposed to be a "pony" themed party, but only days before Lena informed me that Addie could have a pony party, but she was having a kitty party. (although she had no trouble wearing the oh-so-stylish purple "pony hair" my sister brought for them to run around in.) So, she said, everyone was welcome to enjoy both the pony party and her kitty party that night. She was quite adamant. I didn't have time to order a custom made cake as I have done in the past... so I made a somewhat sad homemade chocolate cake with a cat face on it. Not my best cake making ever..but between the pinata, and the pony riding- I figured, Who'd really care anyway, right?And after all the pinata candy filled their treat bags and tummy's, the cake was hardly even cut into. I did, however, spend more than a couple hours (sewing like a sweatshop worker from china, as my sister would say) working on "birthday shirts" for the party girls. I used a plain white turtle neck for each, and appliqued thier animal of choice onto the fronts in a pretty fabric. On the back in the same fabric they got their name and age. I also cropped the arm lengths or 3/4 and added ribbon detail. 

Anyway... it was surprisingly fun for me, despite my stressed outedness prior to the event. I think I was guilt-ing myself out for not "doing" more to make it perfect. I have learned that kids don't care if the decor is perfect, and the cake and everything looks "Martha" enough. I do. And I am about the only one. So why was I worried? It all worked out fine.







No comments:
Post a Comment