This last month has been a test of my endurance. With no working dishwasher... I have been forced to face life the "old school" way(earlier described as the "little house on the prarie" way). There was a time when the idea of being a housewife and "doing dishes" was just about one of the most revolting ideas in my head. I pictured it in a demeaning way, and was totally turned off by the whole negative connotations surrounding becoming a "betty-crocker-housewife" as I used to call it. These days, as a REAL wife and mother, I still honestly cringe at the word"housewife", yet that's the role I am fulfilling right now. Luckily for me all the negative stuff I dreaded (like getting fat, not caring about my appearance, having to be a slave cooking and cleaning all day long..) have totally not been a problem. It's actually quite fun. After we returned home from our trip to Florida, which, you can imagine, being without kids allowed us lots of moments for -umm--romance- let's call it. Oddly enough, we've now been back for nearly 3 weeks and my romance switch was completely shut down the minute we cracked open our front door. So, although I felt sorry to be stone cold, I have had absolutely not one drop of interest in- romance. Nada. Zip. And I have seriously wondered why! I mean, except for having more work in the kitchen due to not having a dishwasher... not much has changed here. Not only was I not feeling romantic, I was actually feeling depressed. Pretty badly, too. I sunk for the first 2 weeks home into a short term but deeply felt depressive funk.
And then... the light at the end of my tunnel arrived. My chandelier. I perked up unbelievably with that. I seriously felt like a TON better! No romance, but very much less depressed. And then... after four weeks of waiting... my blessed dishwasher arrives!! It is the right model, not dented, and it got installed yesterday. Soon my whole kitchen was clean. NO dirty stinky dishes in the sink and last night before bed Mark decided to reseal around our sink, which really freshened it up. With each hour I began to feel better and better. And this morning I woke up, happy. Peaceful. And for the first time in 3 weeks. I felt romantic. WHAT? MY clean kitchen has brought romance back into my life? It has. I have no explanation for it but my clean kitchen has spoken peace to my soul. That sounds really weird, I know. BUT it HAS. Somehow, I don't know if it's being a housewife, or just a woman, but having a sparkling kitchen has sparked life back into me after nearly a month long funk. I am left with only one thing to say.
THANK YOU FROM THE BOTTOM OF MY HEART, KITCHEN AID.





4 comments:
rachel h,
i've visited your lovely blog regularly for some time now - hope that doesn't sound too weird! - and wanted to leave a comment (finally!) and thank you for sharing.
happy blogging,
-ali
Thank you for commenting! I stopped journaling years ago, and blogging has become a cathartic release for me, not to mention a great record for the 'ole posterity.
I found your blog off of a friend. I just had to comment and say this made me laugh...more so because I'm still living through the hell of not having a dishwasher (the sad reality of being married to a dental student). Until that day I guess I will have to live vicariously through you :)
Thanks for the laugh!
Well, we lived without a dishwasher through all 4 years of DH's dental school too~! I must be permanently traumatized! HA!
Post a Comment