~...becoming a ballroom competitor, I am literally dancing my way through being a mom, wife, homeschooler, and more ~

Friday, June 12, 2009

I am SOOO pleased to present for your viewing pleasure:
~
THE LIBRARY Re-do!




Waaay back in February (Is that right? I think that's when we started all this...) I randomly got the urge to start in on our office/library room. It has been left untouched with everything thrown in it pretty randomly and ugly for the past 3-plus years since we have moved into our home.
So, we started by taking all the books down. They had been stacking up on those plain white shelves for so long it was getting really messy. No semblance of order!!
As you can see below, Dane and the Cat were being extremely helpful.
Here we have the empty shelves. Please also note the UGLY ceiling fan..that was also NOT working at the time either. ICK! Messy messy!!!
Now, for the AFTERS!!!!
I am going to start with close-ups and end with the overall shots!
There's a snapshot of the bookshelf area...and yep there's me and my Blurb book I made from being prego with Elsie!!


The is Lena's table..draped with a white tablecloth. She does a LOT of crafting and coloring here. One of those cowboys in that lower left hand pic is my Hubby's Grandfather! The Victorian Wedding photo is my Great great Grandparents. And the other is my sis Stephie.
This is a little Art Easel Santa got for Lena. I have a little print I picked up from a street vendor in NYC a couple years ago. Behind the art easel is a screen I re-upholstered with the inspiration fabric, also on the windows.
This amazing fabric was inspiration for the entire room! I got it in a remnant sale at Old time Pottery!! I am in love with that color!! I had the paint color-matched to it.
A little further out of the Bookshelves! The print on the lower wall is a french scene. I got it at the goodwill for like $5. It's a gorgeous picture!
And THIS is something I am awfully proud of!! My very first attempt at making a slipcover on a sofa!!! I will admit, it helps to learn to REUPHOLSTER first! This was really fun to make.
The large pillows are from Homegoods, and are down filled. I know they are huge, but that large scale makes it more comfy and livable, I think! I just want to jump on one and hang out with a great book! (As if I ever have free time for THAT- haha!)
This is the chandelier I got on CRAIGSLIST FOR $25! I of course painted it, and will eventually get shades for all those little lights. The pic above the door is of course us, all blown up into a poster print. I just thought it was fun. Oh yeah, the other thing we did was paint the ceiling a high gloss black.
This is a shot of the wall opposite the sofa. It has my computer desk, printer,workstation stuff.
The Collage pic on the left is one I made out of pictures Mark and I took in Paris over 8 years ago!! And the other is another french scene...again a purchase from the Goodwill.
And here is the entire back wall, the bookshelves. The Art hanging along the top row are antique french newspaper clippings framed. You'll never believe it, but I got each one of those for $5 a pop at the Goodwill a few years back.

And finally, the reading nook wall. I arranged a mix of family portraits and artwork on the wall above the sofa, as you can plainly see!
And that is it! This is my favorite room of the house for the moment!=)
~
Thanks for taking a tour of our Library! I hope you have enjoyed it!


9 comments:

cotedetexas said...

Wow what a transformation. My favorite is of course - the white slip covered sofa and pillows, love that - love the stripes! good job, no make that great job!! well done.
thanks for sharing!!!
Joni

Chapman Channel said...

RACH--you know I love this room, but I am especially lovin' the slipcover right now! I want to make one! I can't believe how painting the legs of that sofa and slipcovering it made it so cute :). It would have been funny to tell the story of that sofa, too :)You are my INSPIRATION!!!!

simply seleta said...

How dramatic!!! Love the black and white and all the pictures too! Thanks for sharing.

Seleta

Sarah Lunt said...

AMAZING - You & the room!!!

The Cochran Family said...

Wow, but wow! Oooooeee(high pitched sqeeeeelllll!!!)I love it so much and I had to giggle to myself because at the exact same time you and I have designed a space in black and white damask with a accent color...mine just happens to be green ofcourse....I am just about ready to post pixs, I ordered these lace damask curtains from Heritage Lace and once they come I am done! But I just love you...my twin sistah!!! Great great job! I love the chandelier re-do. Right now I have a icky ceiling fans and I don't know what to do, because it's Texas and I do like my breeze. But my design is throwing up all over it right now, sigh. Ok is that Nat with a dif boy down there? WOW. I saw that video some boy made for her. She really is that amazing...hmmm, anyway I'm rambling! 3 more weeks darling! :)

acutely cherished said...

AMAZING!! Oh, my gosh Rachel!!!!!! That room really does belong in a magazine!! I really think I will not be able to stop thinking about it...

Amy Beth said...

I love, love the bookshelves!! And here I am just trying to get the nerve & inspiration to redo my powder room. It has been two years and still no inspiration. I think I may just take down the ugly, dark wallpaper that makes this small room seem smaller and then maybe inspiration will come faster.

Anonymous said...

beautiful, beautiful job!
i especially love the white sofa and the big fluffy black and white pillows. they make me want to sit there! ;)

Shannan Martin said...

You made the slipcover? Impressive! What a fun, unique library. And I LOVE HomeGoods, too!