~...becoming a ballroom competitor, I am literally dancing my way through being a mom, wife, homeschooler, and more ~

Saturday, December 05, 2009


{harsh} REALITIES.

~


Once Holiday celebrations are over...sometimes it's hard to face the realities of life! We have been busy here. I haven't really mentioned this much, but the last year has not been incredibly easy on my dear Hubby's business. Back over last fall, the slowing economy has slowed e-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g down (or so it seems) at his office. I hate to even mention it, as I don't want to add negative energy to it, but that fact remains, that the place (fiscally speaking) we might have "thought" we would be right now, we are not. And so it has been a bit of a wake up call overall in my mind. When expectations are not met, one has to turn inward and reflect. What IS the REAL reason we are doing all this? We may have certain goals for our family, and it seems frustrating (sometimes excruciatingly!) when we can't meet those goals. But then, when times are tough I have been reminded this year that God is in charge. He obviously is putting us in this position for a reason. We have needed to learn something from all this, and I honestly want to learn all I can, so that we can move on already!


~


One thing I have learned is to trust in him. When we are owners of our own business, we have no one to put in a retirement for us. It is ALL up to us. And that is a huge thing on my hubby's mind I know. But, because we are trying to follow Dave Ramsey's money management plan, we are not adding to a retirement fund until we have nearly EVERY debt paid off. That makes it feel like we will NEVER get going on our retirement, which is a pretty frightening thought for both of us. And when times are tough, we are not able to put as much into paying off our debts as usual, so it's SLOW GOING. I am leaning heavily on faith that because we are paying our tithing, and doing our BEST, that we will EVENTUALLY not have to feel so unprepared, and that we will be taken care of.


~


THUS, recently, he has decided to work all of his extra days off at another Dental office almost an hours drive away, to try and pay off those debts as quickly as possible. One comment I also want to say to anyone reading this, NEVER ever EVER pay a 30 year mortgage! Do you have any idea how much more money you'll spend by paying all those years (like triple your original cost!!!)? If you get yourself a simple mortgage analyzer, you'd be surprised how speedily you can cut that down! For example, I found that by adding merely $400 a month to our house payment, we can pay our house off in around 12 years? That is so awesome, isn't it? I love playing with those little calculator thingies!


~


One thing about having him work more, though, is that it's kinda rough on me...because this momma wants a break! And I feel spent, tired and wishing I could work on some projects (like finishing Christmas decorating, for ONE!) but I can't because lately I have an extra needy baby/toddler on my legs most every waking moment of the day. And just like that lovely sign says, I really was not cut out for home labor tasks. SERIOUSLY. It's wearing my mind a tad thin. And when times seem rough...then all of a sudden last week we had car trouble, our washing machine died (officially that happened tonight), and I have to pay lots and lots of taxes in January. (that is pretty much snatching up all the extra $$ we have), and did I mention that we need a new roof? Yeah, all year. But I should also say, we've been blessed to not really have any problems with it, despite that fact. (You'd never guess I am venting tonight, huh? =))


~
So yeah, things sometimes come at you all at once. And you are left to step back and say, "OK! I know God doesn't give you more than you can handle, even if this seems overwhelming- I want to have the faith that everything is going to work out, right?"


It will, I know.


But..then again, if it doesn't,
Mark and I have always had a "Plan B". See? Doesn't this look nice?
~
We liquidate everything and move to some tropical location (an island, preferably!) and sell straw hats on the beach.

I could live with that.


Ohhh, maybe that Swiss Family Robinson lifestyle is not as far-fetched as I thought!!


I look really good in a straw hat and shell encrusted sandals.

5 comments:

Sarah Lunt said...

Ahhh Rachel, I hear ya sista! It's so hard to be patient. You are doing so awesome though. You live life to the fullest! With or without "Earthly Riches" your life is beautiful and rich. I'm so amazed by your talents and often find myself reading your blog going..."Ohhhh, I wanna do that!" So hang in there - maybe you have to learn these lessons so you can share them with the rest of us. Will you email me your phone number and address? We should chat sometime. My email is s_lunt at yahoo dot com.

Hugs, Sarah

Amelia said...

burn down your house! just light up a really dried out old christmas tree in your living room ...take the money and run to some tiny island where mark can become a plastic surgeon with no medical training. I'll join you!

Rachel H said...

Sara- you are too sweet- I think the world of you too! I'll email you!

Millie- your plan sounds dastardly fabulous. We must plot it out together! But first, to what island we retire ?

Anonymous said...

I totally feel you on this one! It seems like, these days, that the husb just keeps working more..and i get stuck doing the mommying more. but, we're all doing the best we can, and that's all that matters!
and one of these days, when the kids are gone, we'll all move to the beach and call it a day. :)

Anonymous said...

Cute post! You are so right the Lord does place you in certain situations for a reason. We too are learning right now and Brooks is working, working, working. It will pay off and you will all be better for it. just keep telling yourself that- at least that's what is helping me, LOL