~...becoming a ballroom competitor, I am literally dancing my way through being a mom, wife, homeschooler, and more ~

Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Good Bye, President Hinkley
"Love is of the very essence of life. It is the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. Yet it is more than the end of the rainbow. Love is at the beginning also, and from it springs the beauty that arches across the sky on a stormy day. Love is the security for which children weep, the desire of youth, the cement that binds marriage, and the smoothing oil that prevents devastating friction in the home; it is the peace of old age, the sunlight of hope shining through death. How rich are those who enjoy it in their associations with family, friends, church, and neighbors." Gordon B. Hinkley, And the Greatest of These Is Love, Tambuli, Aug 1984, 1.
~
Today was the first day I truly cried about President Hinkley passing away. I heard the news the very night it happened. First, in shock, I didn't even tell my husband as I couldn't even say the words. Finally I showed him an article online, and we quietly contemplated the greatness of Him who was our leader and example. I didn't cry at all at first. After the shock wore off I felt this joy for him- imagining him joining his dear sweet companion of his lifetime. Seeing this picture of his sadness at her funeral several years ago reminded me how full of happiness he must be to be reunited with her.

The closest until today I came to crying about the loss of one so dear to my heart and to that of million's of others, was at night. Kneeling at the bedside of my daughter and son, putting them to bed in our usual way, I started to pray and went to utter the usual words we so often say, "... and please bless our Prophet, President Hinkley..." and then I would stop, feeling the overwhelming sadness at the reality of the void he left. Who would we pray for now?

And today I saw a sweet heartfelt tribute online from Glen Beck, who is a convert to our church. And his obvious deep emotions were just enough of a catalyst to set my own off. I began to cry for the first time. A true cry of sorrow for losing one so important to our lives. A loving leader, a sweet and tender man that anyone could see the goodness in. I wanted to share my own feelings and add yet another tribute to the thousands I am sure that have already been written, to celebrate a wonderful soul, who will never be forgotten.


No comments: