It IS a small world after all...~
Well, the truth is...I caved in a few weeks ago, and on a whim bought tickets for our family (and, of course, our nanny;0)) to go to what has been termed the "happiest place on earth" this summer.
~
What I WISH I was doing, was buying tickets to go lay out on a beach chaise atop some glistening white sands next to gloriously aqua blue waters. ALL alone with my hubby. ALONE. alone. Alone. alone.
~
But nursing leaches- oops! I mean- babies- just don't allow for such freedom, now, do they? And I must admit to being quite stingy with my vacations since having children. I mean, who really wants to deal with cranky kids whilst vacationing? So I have been wont (I love that word) to leave the kiddoes at a granny's house or with a sister...while I (myself!) or I ( and a hubby) head somewhere luscious for a few days or so.
~
But lately I have been feeling rather guilty about that. I mean, if I keep that up any longer when someone asks one of my kids where they've gone on vacation they'll say "We stay home and have babysitters!!Woo-hoo!!!"
And doesn't that just seem a little wrong?
So, that is what has been (driving me crazy) keeping me busy these past several days. PLANNING our fabulous amazing wonderful dreamy happy WALT DISNEY WORLD vacation!!!!!!!
(And I am being SO sarcastic here!!)
I am sure it will be nice. Really. I mean, what could be more fun that fighting rabid mickey mouse hat wearing crowds, standing in loooong lines to ride the magic barf cups? I mean, teacups? Ok, I know I am sounding really negative.
In all honesty I am planning (hoping with every fiber of my being that this very expensive kid-land won't stink)on it being fun.
SEE?? I am trying. And since I want it to be ALL it CAN be- I am absolutely obsessing over every detail that I can...mainly finding suitable lodging... because initially I thought-YESSSS- I want to stay
HERE!!

But after some seriously sleuth-like investigation (checking the rates), I soon realized that my unplanned (read=unsaved for) vaycay was more likely going to end up with us staying
HERE
And I know some people like to "rough it" or "go rustic", but that's just going a little too far for me.
Soooo, I have champagne tastes on a beer budget. YET AGAIN.
{and I don't even drink!}
The story of my life. Right there. In a nutshell.
I am HOPING to get a place with these characteristics:
~stylish
~Affordable
~comfortable beds!!!!
~Lovely pool area
~And enough ROOM for us all. (not cramped)
Is that really too much to ask for?
I think not.
Yet... I have spent more nights than I care to admit to up until the wee hours of the night researching. WEE hours, I say! And all so I won't feel like I have wasted our time and moolah.
And that is what my mind is on lately.
If you know of any amazing tips of your previous fabulous Disney vacations, feel free to share.
5 comments:
Well, all your work will pay off and you guys will have an amazing trip! It has been a little while since our last trip to Disneyland but we always have a great time. In the past we try to stay close to Disneyland so we don't have to pay for parking everyday, you can just walk across the street. I have also stayed on property and that was fun, the rooms were really nice and it was great being able to just walk down stairs and get a ride over to the park! The other reason it is great to stay close to the park is if you get tired during the day then you can go take a nap or a break and go back later on. Oh another tip we do is, hit a grocery store to get some drink boxes and small snacks to tide the kids over in between meals so you don't have to spend as much money in the park.
However I am with you on the long lines and crowds but it is worth it, oh and make sure you get the fast passes and look into all the ways you can cut lines!!
we stayed at the pop century resort at disneyworld. We liked it. It wasn't fancy, but it was decent, perfectly suitable for families, geared to them in fact. the pool areas, yes plural, were nice, lots of kids. But there is lots of room to spread out in the resort, playgrounds, fountains, whatnot. And the convienience can't be beat. However, there are lots of deals out there right now. Stay for a week for the price of 3or 4 days, cheap deals on disney dining, which i highly recommend, just go to the disney world site and search deals, if you haven't already. some of the deals are time sensitive, but. . .
Good luck. And keep your expectations realistic. My kids still bickered and complained everyday we were there. If you stay at the resort, take advantage of the magic hours and catch a nap in the hotel in the afternoon. always ask for parent swap passes and make sure you know how they work, and hang onto them. they are a little different than fast passes. have a great time. I love Disney World.
Love this- I can so relate. I have been feeling extra guilty lately in the vacation department- i'm like you and would rather spend my time and money actually RELAXING. That's my idea of a vacation. But I know the kids deserve a little trip and the memories too.
I haven't taken all four to Disney yet (um, need a few more years to prepare!) but we went with my oldest two when I was pregnant with my third, and let me just tell you...NEVER go to DW whilst pregnant. It is the worst thing. But we planned it before I knew I was pregnant so I couldn't prevent it. Anyway, we stayed in a hotel named Shades of Green--it's a military associated hotel where you get HUGE discounts and tons of great extras. My dad is retired air force so we got to stay there. Totally awesome.
I know the whole idea of DW sounds horrific, but you truly will have a great time. If your kids are like mine, there will be a few meltdowns and frazzled moments but it will all be worth it when you see the total joyous look on their faces and the fact that they won't stop talking about it for MONTHS!
Oh, make sure to check out the water parks, too. My fav is Blizzard Beach.
Thanks for the good advice guys!
I will look into those things...
I am glad I asked becuase I had no idea about the fast passes/parent swap passes.
I am feeling like the meal plans are more than what we'd spend normally eating. We don't really eat all that much. I don't know?
And Evie, My dad is retired military too! Air FORCE!What is your dad?
Rachel-
Yep, my dad is air force too!
The eligibility requirements might've changed, as it's been a few years, but we were able to stay there without having my dad accompanying us (for verification, etc). They just asked for my ID and for some sort of confirmation of retirement sent by fax. I think my dad might have sent a copy of his ID too. Anyway, you should check it out because it's much cheaper than the average hotel in Disney.
Post a Comment