Learning more..in a new way...
~
First off, there is a really interesting article called "Kindergarten cram" in the New York Times-really go read it.
~
As I am in the process of learning about different schooling methods...it's funny and somewhat feels odd for me to say that the one method that I most relate to is the "unschooling" method.
There's this sense of freedom in it that excites me and makes me feel like the possibilities are endless! Simultaneously, though, that complete and utter freedom frightens me and makes me feel like I am standing at the edge of a precipice...ready to free fall. My confidence is not ready for such a trip yet. I am almost certain that for the next year I will be enrolling Lena in the Ohio Virtual Academy for school. It is an online public charter school that will do 2 things (as I see it) :
1. It will allow us to stay home and school at home.
2. It will provide a preplanned framework for us to lean on and use while we acclimate to our new life of being home together and schooling together.
~
At this point I feel like it will be a good guide and even like a crutch for me as a "teacher" while I gain confidence in our abilities to work together. Also, as we "detox" from regular school. I think within a year or two, I would like to go it alone and switch to a more flexible unschooled type of plan. There is just this amazing allure to become like The Swiss family Robinson or something and be completely alone and have an adventure doing it all ourselves. (Unfortunately I think my hubby and I are just a tad too "mainstream" to leap into that kind of life right off the bat!haha!With time, with time.)
~
Anyway... as Lena's school year winds to a close over the next few weeks I am feeling the utter relief sweep over me. I know our new venture will be challenging in many new ways...but I am excited to close the book on what has been a very frustrating few years in traditional schools.
~
And that's all for now. More later!





4 comments:
Have you researched what the law requires in your state? For example, in NYC the first schooling required is 1st grade. Is she starting kindergarten in the fall? If your state is the same, you can REALLY ease in to it.
Would love to know more about that online charter school...
Great Times article. I agree wholeheartedly. If you are drawn to unschooling, be careful. OHVA is very school at home. I am pretty eclectic, but fairly classical and I tried OHVA for Micah last year in 5th grade and withdrew in two months.
Do what you feel is right, but don't let fear stop you from following your heart & promptings. Take a step into the darkness and see if there is a little light to lead you. Also, you can withdraw Lena now if you feel it is too detrimental to her sweet, wonderful spirit.
Kage,
You can look at www.ohva.org to see thier website. Also, the founder of the k-12 curriculum has a blog and quite an amazing background- you can read that HERE.
thanks for the links....really interesting.
Post a Comment