~...becoming a ballroom competitor, I am literally dancing my way through being a mom, wife, homeschooler, and more ~

Sunday, November 15, 2009

Just wanted to state for the record:
~
I HAVE NOW TAUGHT ONE OFFICIAL ZUMBA CLASS!!!! Woo-HOOOOO!
I guess most people wouldn't think it (according to my sis Amelia), but I was a little bit of a nervous wreck all week about it. I was so worried I would get in front of the group of people ready for some amazing Zumba-rific workout, and just go completely blank. Like one of those horrible (OH SO HORRIBLE) bad dreams that I have had many many times about being on stage for a dance recital and not knowing any of my routines, and then trying pitifully at the last minute to make something up just to try and not look like a complete fool, only then I end up feeling like an idiot because I can't remember anything creative at all and just keep doing some stupid boring lame thing. Yah. Just like that.
~
Only, it didn't go like that. Not at all! The night before, I wanted to practice the WHOLE routine through, just ONCE so I would be able to say I CAN get through it fine. But-honestly- I had a little upset stomach and I suddenly felt insanely tired. Instead of practicing a snip, I curled up in the fetal position on my gold sofa and fell totally asleep- until my hubby woke me up and made me come to bed. And the next morning I woke up, I went over a few songs, and headed over to my new class.
I feel embarrassed that I was so worried about it, but I have never done that exact kind of thing before, so I WAS really kind of afraid! But- finally- I did two things that saved me:
1. I kept telling myself, "Chill out, this is JUST DANCING!"
and
2. Replace FEAR with FAITH! "You can do it!" I told myself.
I said a teensie prayer in the car that I wouldn't blank, and that I would remain calm.
I had prepared some words to say at the beginning and end of the class, about how great dancing is for the mind and body, etc...and some cheesy stuff that is fun and positive affirmation-ish.
It was a great success! I maintained my composure, I did NOT blank out, and I had several compliments of thanks at the end for the class! I know now that I was really ready for it, and I can tell being a Zumba teacher is going to be so rewarding. It was a success, and now I am more excited than ever to do it all again next Saturday!
Yay!

No comments: