~...becoming a ballroom competitor, I am literally dancing my way through being a mom, wife, homeschooler, and more ~

Monday, February 05, 2007

I HAVE A QUESTION about Harry
Okay, I know most of the people who read my blog are dear family and friends who don't even know how to comment on a blog, or maybe just really don't "DO" the blog thing at all, but they for whatever reason find it enjoyable to read about our lives.
I am just dying to get some feedback here on something I have been wanting to ask but don't have a forum for it.
I love to read. Don't get me wrong! I love books, of many kinds. I grew up reading Nancy Drews, Anne of Green Gables, and many many other series books.
But I have been utterly and completely stumped by the magnitude of people in LOVE with Harry Potter! I honestly cannot get myself to read them. I TRY! I have tried. But as soon as it becomes mythical in any way, my brain does this weird like static-tv thing-y and I loose the ability to comprehend anything going on. I really want to- yes mainly because if so many people love them- they MUST be good. I know that! WHY do so many people LOVE them? How can sooooo many people from ALL ages, sexes, life circumstances, all enjoy and relish them? PLEASE HELP EXPLAIN! I feel like there's a short in my brain for the fantasy-mythical fiction.

2 comments:

Kage said...

A friend of mine at a recent book club explained something to me. Harry Potter is in this horrible life where he is no one special...and then one day he finds out he is like the ultimate in specialness, just in this other world that he never knew existed.

Everyone can relate to this story b/c our inner child just always desired to be someone extraordinary. And Harry Potter literally has that fantasy come true.

So that's the literature/analytical view on why fundamentally it is so appealing.

On other levels...it is extremely well-written, full of picturesque details, strong plot lines, unique characters, and so complete in every way.

This series is unlike any other. And I love it.

And I used to read Nancy Drew too.

Rachel H said...

Thanks- that's good. I can "get" that. But the whole fantasy part is where I get lost. I guess I don't at all relate to any of the magical scocerer stuff, as well as the fact that the main character is a little boy, who I also don't relate to. I guess what amazes me is with the packaging of such an uplifting message, that so many people "get" it. I can understand that it is a great message, but get stopped by the mythical storyline starring a male child.