~...becoming a ballroom competitor, I am literally dancing my way through being a mom, wife, homeschooler, and more ~

Wednesday, April 11, 2007


Lullaby Baby
I was told once in a blessing that I would someday comfort my children by singing to them. I have always felt a little unhappy about that because, for one, I don't really have a great singing voice, and two- whenever I sing (which I really DO enjoy doing) - during the day- both of them go "AUGGHHH! NO MOM! DON'T SING!!!" . So consequently I have been left to wonder if maybe that blessing was meant for another person. Not me and my apparently already-embarrassed-(or at least uncomfortable) children with my super sweet renditions of "Glue, glue stick to the glue.." Or my occasional belting of random Disney ballads. Dude- I grew up on those too- I loved the Little Mermaid and Cinderella. And what about all the Sound of Music songs? Or "I could Have Danced All Night" from "My Fair Lady" ? Those are absolutely enjoyable classics. I mean, they act like if actually hurts to hear me sing. I love that one song from "Scrooge" with Albert Finney- "Thank-you very much!" Not only is that fun to sing, but it fits to sing in so many different situations.
I guess I watched too many musicals growing up because it really doesn't seem that strange to just start into song at any given moment throughout my day. Not that I am really like singing ALL DAY or anything. I would just appreciate some freedom on the whole thing. Unfortunately, I can tell I am encountering some defiance to that idea already.
Night time, however, is one place where singing is allowed by my princess and prince, and is such a part of our routine that even at 5 1/2 years old, my daughter always insists on me humming her bedtime song - the same one I have sung since she was a tiny sweet baby. It's like magic. I sing, or hum, as the case may be, and they drift to sleep. I had a magical moment with Dane a couple of nights ago. He's a funny sleeper. When he is tired, he wants his bedtime routine cut short. He'll say to me- "No books mommy, I go to bed." or "No prayer mommy- I just sleep." (although we always say one anyway)
But as I lie him into his bed, and after saying his little bedtime prayer, I gently kissed him and said "Goodnight". As I walked toward the door, I heard him say something. I moved back toward his crib.
"What did you want sweetie?" I ask.
"Sing song mommy." He says.
And I quietly start to sing , "I am a child of God, and He has sent me here..."
He softly smiles, gazes into my eyes and knows every single word. And I feel an amazing tingly wash of happy love. This feeling is fantastic! Is it possible to be in love with a 2 1/2 year old? Because I am smitten.
"....has given me and earthly home, with parents kind and dear. Lead me guide me, walk beside me, help me find the way. Teach me all that I must do, to live with Him someday."
He turns his head to the side of his pillow, and with a sweet "night night mommy." is ready for a blanket of peaceful sleep to warm him for the rest of the night.
That lovey dovey feeling hit me like a ton of bricks that this is what my blessing was talking about. I am not completely missing that special connection in my life with them. I feel so blessed to be a mother. No one can know the intense feelings only a parent can have. What a joy they are in my life! And my children do need my singing, just as I need their happy sounds.

No comments: