~...becoming a ballroom competitor, I am literally dancing my way through being a mom, wife, homeschooler, and more ~

Tuesday, December 16, 2008

The 12 Days of Christmas:
Day 9
~
Traditions:Old and New
~
I decided to start a new tradition this year with our kids that I know many do, and love. I selected 12 different Christmas books and wrapped them up, to have the kids open one a day for the 12 days before Christmas. I tried to pick a selection of books that would be a variety of these three things, so my kids would enjoy them:
1. Some more fun entertaining
2.Some more spiritual and Christ centered
3. Some HAD to involve kitties, because my daughter would be filled with JOY over that.
So that was pretty much my criteria.
So far these are the books we have opened and read. (Click on each book link to learn more about their stories)
~
(this one has the classic message of the original story)
(sweet story)
(This one is pretty extensive and longer, but a great spiritual bible-accurate retelling of man's purpose on earth and the need for a Savior)
(Darling Christmas story from a kitty's perspective with sweet illustrations!)
The kids love getting to open one gift a day, and they take turns on who gets to pick and open it. It's a tradition we will continue for many many years, and I am so glad!!

1 comment:

Lor! said...

we have loved doing that in our family! One little thing, I wrap the books before I pack them away for the year using leftover Christmas wrap. It's one less thing to do when your crazy busy the next year, and you have something to do with the leftover paper you don't want to store. Just a silly thing! Oh. And some of our favorite books under the tree are The Three Trees, The Nutcracker, Mr. Toomey's Christmas, and The Little Match Girl. Have fun. Miss you.