~...becoming a ballroom competitor, I am literally dancing my way through being a mom, wife, homeschooler, and more ~

Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Peer Pressure and Me.
~
I am Mormon. And I did not grow up in Utah. Can you guess, based on the title, where this is leading? Mormon teen in a 100% NON Mormon school growing up. Peer pressure just might have had an eensie- teensie part of my youth-ridden years. There's the whole "no dating before 16 thing"... the no drinking, drugs, smoking, coffee, shall I go on? You know the drill. I am proud to say I emerged from those frenetic teen years unscathed.
~
The next period of time I can recall experiencing that feeling of "peer pressure" was several years later, post-college, tying the knot, and deciding (on a whim) to become a flight attendant. (I did this as a reaction to my hubby being gone every waking millisecond of the day studying for Dental School) I figured if I got busy, then I wouldn't be skulking and moping about our lonely apartment all day for him anymore. So off I went, flitting and flying about the country from one side to the other, finding myself in the company of other flight attendant "friends" who would want to hang out. On one occasion, I was having a little gno with some girls at their apartment. These girls seemed so cool, and so lovely, and the apartment we were at was decorated oh-so-chic!!(what can I say...I am known to be swayed by an enticing davenport! {as my MIL calls them- to this day.}) And sure enough, they whip out their sparkly crystal wine glasses... just in time for that familiar feeling of peer pressure to flag my senses. This peer pressure is so much more refined than those earlier years. I, of course, declined and had a soda. But I never forgot that feeling. It's not the most comfortable feeling!
~
Remember last fall (or was it late summer? I even forget now!) when I declared I was going to be a "pescatarian" (one who only eats fish-no other meat)? Well, I held out for 4 whole months!!! And it was remarkably easy to do. That was not half bad, I thought. And what caused my downfall into meaty meats once more? Party peer pressure, of course. We were at our Dr's Christmas party, at the Country Club, being served this truly delicous meal...featuring BOTH chicken and fillet Mignon!! I was sitting next to our lovely hostess, chatting and having a wonderful time. And what was a girl to do?? I didn't want to be rude!! So I tried the chicken. It tasted pretty good. I didn't even try to cut into the fillet...too much for me. (I couldn't even begin to know how to cut it and not look like a fool! Cutting meat sometimes makes me queasy..anyway.)
So, that was that on my fancy fast from meats..
~
Since then I have eaten a few bites of chicken here or there. And a tiny bit of deli meat. If a lasagna has meat in it..I will have it... despite my aversion to it. And I have always been known to love a good turkey-bacon BLT. Heavy on the L & T.
So sue me already!
~
And why am I even writing about this? Because I didn't want to write that we are all crawling out on our hands and knees from feverish death colds and ear infections....that nothing else is new and that although I really WANT to show pics of the office renovation... I also want to wait until it's "done-done" not just "mostly-done", y'know ?{part of that whole, "being a finisher" thing...} So I hopped over to funny cjane and realized that I am a FLEXITARIAN, too! What a relief to know I still have a title. Whew. And that is how I got here today.
~
WAA-HOO!

No comments: