~...becoming a ballroom competitor, I am literally dancing my way through being a mom, wife, homeschooler, and more ~

Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Anniversary Numero Eleven...
To make up for my completely forgetting our Anniversary last week, I think I will go ahead and write about our "story" prior to our anniversary trip to Florida that we are taking tomorrow. Inspired by a tag from my NY city friend, here's a little bit of how we came to be....

One of our first Dates

Where did you meet your husband?/ First thing I said to him?
Well, we met in a fairly nondescript way, in the hallway between church services at BYU. I was actually kind of checking him out with my roommate. As I had just mentioned to her how I liked his outfit, he walked up. He asked me if I was in his ward...which I wasn't. He did, though, being the near professional dater, find out a lot about me in our initial conversation including where I lived, asking if he could stop by and see me sometime. At the time I was dating a guy who had already graduated, was working in the area, and(eeeek! My mom cringes every time she remembers this I know) was 30 years old! Despite this, I always felt very firmly that in order to find the RIGHT guy, like with cars, I'd have to test-drive a lot of models (in a morally clean way, of course) so I was always open to a new date. So I arrogantly said "Sure. Come over any time. We have guys over all the time." His first visit was maybe a week or so later.

Where was the first kiss? First Date?
Our first date was in March, we went to a little Italian restaurant and had dinner, after which we were driving around and it strangely started to snow! I was excited and told him how I'd always adored Christmas and especially white Christmases. We got on that topic for a while and we decided to rent one of his favorite Christmas movies to watch- A Christmas Story. I really thought it was strange- but luckily I didn't judge him too harshly on it and now I do find it an amusing albeit oddball movie. Our first kiss was after another date later on, he was waiting SOO LONG to kiss me- I was getting impatient- so I just kissed HIM! He was totally unprepared and it was probably the worst kiss we have ever shared. For the record, he's an awesome kisser.

Did you have a long courtship/engagement?
NO! It was totally short! We started dating in March, I went home for summer in May, due to some crazy undiagnosed illness (which they thought was all sorts of nightmarish things- but turned out to be a combination of Mono, and a blood serum sickness that occurred from an allergy to a dermatology medication I was taking) . We talked on the phone every single day in May and in June he flew out and proposed. We were Married at the end of August. You can do the math on that one.

Where did you get engaged?
The day we got engaged we went to a nice little restaurant for lunch that was located near this gorgeous historic mansion which I practically grew up in. In the highest floor of this place was a large ballroom, where I took and taught ballet until I graduated from high school. It was decorated so beautifully I had always loved it. His idea was for me to later on give him a walking tour of the "Hayner Cultural Center". We walked to it and I started touring him around the near empty building. My favorite room was a special room that was on the second floor that resembled an elegant Victorian era ladies sitting room, had a large ornately carved marble fireplace mantle, and a sparkling crystal chandelier hanging down. It also had off to the side a large and ornate dollhouse on display. My little girl dream, I guess. I slowly wanted to show him every room, but he kept asking to see my "favorite" room. I finally gave in and we skipped ahead to my room. As we first entered, I didn't notice the change. Then I did a double take. Leaning against the large mirror on the mantle was a huge ornate picture frame, matted with a photo of US in it! Right then and there he got down on one knee, and to this day neither he nor I can remember a single word that he uttered. But I am sure it was wonderful, because I said YES.

Where did you get married?After changing our temple 3 times, (Salt Lake City, San Diego, to Washington D.C) we finally settled on the one that I had always dreamed of getting married at. The Washington D.C. temple, where my parents were sealed, and the one I had the most emotional attachment to.
Here we are as we walked in. And then of course , after.








How did the reception go?






With me being the oldest, my Mom was in her training stages for planning wedding receptions, with 5 daughters who would all but one be married over the next 10 years. It went beautifully with no glitches. We held it at the Officer's Club at Wright Patterson Air Force Base. We had a d.j/mc who was really fantastic. He presented us to the seated guests in a very formal sort of way, kind of because my Grandparents and all my relatives are non mormon, so they couldn't attend the actual ceremony. We had a sit down served dinner, and the food was great. My cake was very pretty to me, as were the decorations. My flowers didn't really turn out the way I had envisioned them. But they were still gorgeous. I am so happy with how it all turned out.

How was the honey moon?
It was fun. Since I had been quite sick the whole year we dated, were engaged, and finally by the time we got married I was recovering. But the stress of the wedding left me feeling exhausted, and the first day of what was supposed to be our honeymoon was spent with me sick. Our honey moon was cut a bit short, but it was just a tiny taste of all the fun we have continued to experience over the years. We went to Mackinac Island and it was so peaceful and sweet. A wonderful place to relax! We went back on our 10th last year and stayed at the magnificient GRAND HOTEL! It is now my favorite place ever.

Happy DAY my LOVE! As you always say... EVERY YEAR JUST GETS BETTER!

In San Fransisco

At Christmas

New parents for the First time!

Pregnant with Number 2!

Time goes on...

No comments: