~...becoming a ballroom competitor, I am literally dancing my way through being a mom, wife, homeschooler, and more ~

Monday, August 06, 2007

Freaky Friday
Yes I do realize that it is Monday. Although I have been known to completely lose track of what day it is, yesterday I did go to church, which means it was Sunday... so yeah. Anyway, I was not prepared to tell the wacky tale of my Friday's experiences due to exhaustion and mental trauma, but now I am needing to describe a random day that transported me to"WHAT the HE**- VILLE." Seriously.
We drive used cars. Nice used cars that we don't buy NEW. USED. They up until this point have been reliable, responsible, and really great. A few weeks ago as we were trying to find our way to my sister's church for her baby's blessing, a quartet of flashing warning lights exploded on our Land Rover. Right as we were lost in a NOT so SAFE part of the city. GREAT! We took it in to have it fixed, and $1200 later, SUPPOSEDLY, it was fixed. Then, as Mark is driving it around several days after that, on go the quartet of dancing warning lights! So back to the shop our Discovery goes. Hopefully THIS time they can actually DISCOVER what is wrong. Nope.
By Friday it was on it's THIRD trip to the car Dr. Since I didn't want to be without a car, all day, AGAIN, I decided to drive Mark to work. We load everyone up and head out. As we are getting there, my ultra car sensitive hubby says... "do you smell something strange?"
"Not really." I shrug.
Just as soon as we are about a block from his office, the hood of the Saab starts smoking like a coal fueled train. I immediately look at the temperature gage and watch it slam up to HOT! HOT! HOT! Yikes. We pull into his parking lot area and the car stops.
We look at eachother with the grim reality we are suddenly facing. Discovery-no good. Saab, most likely of no use to us today. Mark jumps out realizing he already has a patient waiting for him and runs to care for someone's failing denture.
I am left with Dane and Lena in about 100 degree weather sitting there with no current option for getting home.
Mark's partner was leaving as we got there, and by luck and chance his wife was coming to pick him up to go look at houses (as they are moving to be closer to work) . He volunteers his other car for us to drive. A blessing! Yay.
One problem....it is a stick. Well, I haven't exactly driven a stick in seven or so yeears, but it can't be THAT hard- right? Well, first problem- I can't get it to start. After having to ask them for help- twice- (boy did I feel cool) - I finally figured out WHICH pedal was the clutch, and HOW to get the thing started. We lurched and jerked and chugged our way home (After picking up some antifreeze for Mark to use on the Saab). Whew. We are home. Uh-OH. I don't have a copy of the keys. If I told you how MANY times I have been locked out of my house, you would seriously think I have mental issues. I remembered that Mark had JUST showed me where he hid a key. I felt around for it. No key. DAG NAB IT! Where is it? As I am reaching under our spiderweb filled area under our deck Dane crawls out of the car, and just as he gets out, the car rolls forward and sort of runs into the lattice and decorative brick we have under our deck and stops. SHOOT! I forgot to leave it in gear. I left it in neutral.
AUGHHHHH!!!!! My patience is at an all time low. I want to cry. Why did my day have to turn out like this? Where is my stupid KEY to my house!!!! I call Mark at work and make his office person interrupt him in the middle of a root canal to ask him WHERE DID HE HIDE THE KEY? She says it is where he showed me. So I toughen up grab the only broom I have (one that I threw in the garbage because last week I accidentally ran over half of it so it looks like a half flattened wicked witch of the west broom.) and Swished out all the spider webs I could, climbed UNDER the deck to try to SEE where it was hidden, and sure enough hanging up in a corner on a little nail, is our house key. Whew. I finally get into our house, and think- "Why in the he** did I want to leave this house this morning? " I have NO IDEA. I am going no where else today.

No comments: