~...becoming a ballroom competitor, I am literally dancing my way through being a mom, wife, homeschooler, and more ~

Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Lena's Fairy Tale Secret Garden Chandelier
How to recreate it!
I started with a simple 5 curved arm brass chandelier that I got used off of Craig's list for $15. I then went to a large floral center and spent about $30 on small scale ivy lengths and floral stems to match her room. Also had 5 french cut crystals to hang on it.
I started by using wire cutters to cut all the flowers and ivy into individual strands. Then I started with an arm, and slowly wrapped the ivy densely around each arm of the chandelier. After I covered all the arms with ivy, then I start distributing the flowers somewhat evenly and wrap them over the ivy on each arm.
I used clear fishing line to tie a little loop on every arm to hold the dangling crystal drop. Collect about 3-5 different ribbons in the colors desired, and make 5 small bows, and one large bow for the bottom. Tie them on with garden wire or fishing line.
As a final touch I sewed a chain cover out of coordinating fabric, that will be about 2-3 times the length of the actual chain, to make it pucker. Install that as you are installing the actual chandelier. We also added the ceiling medallion for a bit more architectural drama.
....AND VOILA!



2 comments:

Amelia said...

Rachel that chandeleir is so totally fabulous. I love it. You got skillz!! check out my latest post on my blog!

Unknown said...

Rachel, that is so pretty! I wish you were my mom growing up :)