~...becoming a ballroom competitor, I am literally dancing my way through being a mom, wife, homeschooler, and more ~

Monday, November 12, 2007

PLACENTA BRAIN- (definition- when a woman becomes pregnant, her brain cells migrate south to help build the fortress that is called the placenta.)


I, unfortunately, have been officially diagnosed with this difficult to deal with problem. It manifests at times only in mild ways, like forgetting simple nouns and verbs.
"Hey kids, do you want to go play at the...um, you know that place with the outside play stuff that is fun and you always want to go there? "
" The PARK, mom? " My daughter looks at me incredulously.
"YES! The Park!! Do you want to go there?"
Other times Placenta Brain may manifest in moderate or even more severe ways.
Moderate Example: We stop for a quick lunch at Burger King (a place you'll ONLY see me in when I am pregnant, BTW) and, in the short trip around the restaurant I lose my keys. After having the help of not only the workers, the managers, and two random business men on their lunch breaks root around the place, and use gloved hands to go through the entire garbage containers... with no luck at finding my LAST key less fab set of LR keys. I start to think about who I should call to pick me up as I walk my kids out to our un-drive-able vehicle. And just as I go to put my son in his car seat, sure enough my keys are peeking out of the crack of the seat I am putting him in. UGH!
Severe example of placenta brain- Well, you can all just thank your lucky stars if nothing like this happens to you. Try innocently driving your DD to kindergarten only to end up involved in a 4 car accident. "WHY-oh-WHY??" is what you'll be thinking on that one.
Needless to say, I am only probably 8-9 weeks pregnant but placenta brain is rearing it's ugly head to trip me up throughout my day. And one thing I am going to do to counter attack is get my keys soldered to my wrist, and begin to drive like an obsessively paranoid glove wearing granny on speed.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I actually found myself laughing out loud:) I couldn't agree with you more!

Chapman Channel said...

I can't explain how much I feel your pain. I seriously feel like holding a normal conversation lately is too much for me to handle. It's like wayyyy to much brain power to have to think of normal things to talk about!!! I think that's why our kids are so smart, though--they are getting our brain cells. You know what helps me? I make lists--tons of lists.