~...becoming a ballroom competitor, I am literally dancing my way through being a mom, wife, homeschooler, and more ~

Monday, January 19, 2009

Finally! A New Year's Resolution I might actually have an easy time keeping:
~
Fresh Flowers
~
AT ALL TIMES.
Happiness is a fragrant bouquet of loveliness.


This past weekend my Dad and my Brother went on a little jaunt

out west for their annual ski trip. So my mom came to visit us for the weekend. The only word I can use to best describe her visit is relief.
~
And, today, after talking with my sisters I realized that this is just her forte. Her way of being . She does it at their houses too.
~
First, she sweeps in like a wonderful mother/grandmotherly cleaning fairy and before you can blink your eyes twice, the kitchen is spotless (we're talking she even wanted to scrub my walls and cabinets!)...the floors are swept/vacuumed (!!), even a big load of laundry folded!! Then, lickety split she's off in some corner snuggled up reading to your children.
~
BLISS, I tell you. It was just bliss!
I actually started to get the feeling that I had some control over my surroundings this weekend!!
~
And then, quick as she came.....this morning - off she had to run...and she was gone.
And then...My darling Hubby had to go and "bring bacon" (a la incredibles...).
~
I was left all alone.
Well, almost alone.
~
As alone as you can be with 2 wild children and a squeaking baby.
~
My "serenity" feeling was slipping through my fingers quickly, as was my mood.
By the time evening came and the children were all tucked soundly into their beds.. I had to make a late night run to the local grocery store for a few things (and to take back that random movie I paid 3 nights rental on without knowing what it was about... let's just say that gay love is neither me nor my moms' favorite genre..yikes! Even if it was only pg-13~!)
~
And it was there, in the grocer's floral department, that I decided:
I deserve flowers.
And not just on the holidays.
And now, my kitchen is all clean again. (well, at least the dishwasher is started and the counter is wiped off. I'll get to those crumbs on the floor tommorow!)
~
That big bouquet of flowers brings a happy smile to my lips.
(As well as a slightly indulgent feeling. But in a good way.)
I know I like this New year's goal.

2 comments:

That Girl said...

Ooooo! Me like!

Nothing makes me smile like fresh flowers. Their smell saturates the whole room.

Lor! said...

Great idea! You deserve flowers! So well put. And aren't moms wonderful?? My Mom has bailed me out many times when I thought I was losing it all! Sounds like you had a great weekend!