Thank Heavens for Minnesota winters!!
~
We drove home from an evening visiting with my mom and sister and her kids at the Mall tonight. As we rode I admired the gigantic piles of fluffy stark white snow everywhere (we don't get that often!), I pointed out in awe to the kids how beautiful the trees dripped with the heaviness of the cold blanket laid upon them.
~
I have truly been trying appreciate the sparkling glory of winter with this last storm upon us.
~
And then...as we exited off the highway, merging straightaway to our exit road...the opening narrowed with a thick edging of deep slushy snow (about a foot deep).
Our left tire caught this edge, and this deep thick sludgy snow held onto our car, and it began to swirl back and forth immediately...so fast that the immediate rock in my stomach had me frozen with fear. It felt like I was watching in slow motion as we swung back and forth and forward...and my eye caught the view of the metal barrier between the roads we were headed directly for.
~
My thoughts were, "This is it. We are going to hit the barrier. Our car might roll over. This is it. Auggghhh!" We continued to flail.
My thoughts were, "This is it. We are going to hit the barrier. Our car might roll over. This is it. Auggghhh!" We continued to flail.
~
Thank heavens, instead of freaking out like I was inside... my wonderful husbands instinctual reaction was to keep counter steering each flailing swing of our car, and before we hit anything, he regained control (luckily we managed to not hit any cars in the neighboring lane that we swished into after avoiding the median barrier). We SURVIVED. No crash. No rolling. No injuries. Nothing.
~
Our kids laughed it all off and had barely a break in their potty humor joking streak of the night.
~
I breathed in, my hands quivered, and I sat in shock. And thanked heaven that we were all safe, alive, and fine.
My children's light (yet usually frustrating to me) potty humor never sounded so wonderful.





No comments:
Post a Comment