~...becoming a ballroom competitor, I am literally dancing my way through being a mom, wife, homeschooler, and more ~

Friday, February 13, 2009

Visions of Love.

~

The language of Love is spoken in so many different ways to each different person. Understandably, as we all have different tastes and ideas and things we value! Valentine's Day I think is usually roses and candy, maybe even jewelery to the commercial world. I do love all those things.. but it's certainly not a MUST.

~

I am someone who does not require surprises, therefore I do no hinting. Anyone who knows me well knows that I am a pretty black and white person. I'm probably not going to beat around the bush on much. If I want something- well, there's no mistaking it. And getting EXACTLY what I want is better than 10 random surprises put together!! For days my hubby has been telling me in a bit of agony that he just doesn't know what to get me. I told him not to worry, because I didn't need anything. (no joke!)
~
But of course it's the little things that always make him special to me.
~
First of all, before he went into the office, he made a somewhat treacherous journey into the inner city area of our fair city to hunt down a settee/love seat that I just nabbed for the library renovation! He went to purchase it from an older man named "Red" with flaming big red hair, who answered the door without a shirt on his white speckled pot belly! And, only about three teeth in his mouth, apparently. Yep. Second, It's most definitely a "fixer-upper", as it needs to have the exposed wood fixed up, a complete reupholster, and some new cushion action.

~

Why does this translate to love to me? Because the thing is... we don't HAVE to buy all our furniture like this. We could just go the "store" like regular old folks.. and I know he could think that. But he KNOWS me. He KNOWS I live for this game of hunt and gather, find the ugly ducky chair and make it a beautiful swan! That payoff is almost priceless, I tell you! It also makes me feel happy and accomplished and allows me to practice my skills. And now, every thing in our house has a story. And when I give someone a tour it could last hours if I were to actually tell the history of each and every piece. There's a lot to tell. And it gives our home a soul, that adds even more to the spirit of having our family there. I love that, and I adore that he does too.

~
One more example:

As I was hanging some pictures in a somewhat unconventional place last night in the library, he looked a little surprised and asked me, "Is that something you have seen before?" a little puzzled.

And I said(somewhat defensively!), "OH, yeah- it's a total trend in libraries right now! "

~

And he sensed my feeling immediately, and retorted back, " Hey! We are on the same team, you and I."

That was his way of saying I trust what you do and I love you for it.

~

That is his gift to me. His gift of support and love and just plain wonderfullness. He is my best friend, and why he is

MY VALENTINE.





Here's the ugly ducky !!
{Squirrely the cat thinks it's just fine, though!}
Don't worry darlin'! We're gonna make a swan outta' you!




No comments: