Schooling at HOME
~
While getting oriented with our new schooling environment, the programs, teacher, systems, etc...I was reminded today that we are not termed "homeschoolers". We are "schooling at home" which is quite different, in that I am not creating lesson plans on my own, but am a learning "coach" at home via our online classes. Those classes have yet to commence, and I am anxiously excited for it. Although I have read much, and talked about it much, I really don't know what to expect once we start in on this journey, for real!!
~
We have Lena's school space all organized, with a computer and printer, and a headset with microphone, all ready to go. I know she's feeling quite grown up with all this technology at her fingertips and earmarked specifically for HER.
Her school uses this awesome webconferencing software called Elluminae, that allows them to have group and one on one sessions live talking with their class and teacher..and it's just fantastic. I love it already! I mean, the whole idea of being at class while you are eating french toast for breakfast in your jammies...just sounds pretty awesome to me, haha!! While the other kids are freezing their heinies off at the bus stop in the snowy winters, we are going to be hitting that snooze button one more time! YES! That's MY kind of schoolin' right there. haha. But seriously.
~
Unexpectedly, after conversing with several Virtual Academy moms as well as a Kindergarten teacher, I have decided to attempt adding Dane to my student list this year as a kindergartner as well. You see his birthday is one of those funny fall ones that hits right on the line, and I originally was planning on waiting to start him until next year. But after speaking with the K teacher, she really reassured me that it would be fine, and if it was truly not working it's no trouble just to take it really slow, or even stop and wait until he's ready. That's what's so fantastic about this kind of school, it's SO flexible. And you can really tailor the timing to your child.
~
SO...I am in the process of going through some online parent-coaching course through the K-12 schooling curriculum, which will prepare me more for my role in all of this, as well as just gearing up to get started next week! Yikes! I am nervous, but have great expectations. I know this is going to be a multifaceted journey, and I am leaning on prayer and the guidance of my Heavenly Father to get me through.
~
I'll keep you updated as we continue!
I'll keep you updated as we continue!





4 comments:
How exciting! I can't wait to hear how it goes...sounds like a great way to school to me too!!! You don't have to give me the specifics but is this expensive to do?
Good luck, you'll do awesome!
Sarah
Wow! That is so exciting and nerve racking all at the same time I'm sure!! Good Luck!
Sarah,
Hi! There are two parts to the school I am in. The "school" and the "curriculum". The School part is called Ohio Virtual Academy, and it is a public charter school, which means it is free! They have sent me all the supplies, including computer, textbooks, etc...
The "cuuriculum" they use is K-12. It is pretty highly acclaimed, designed really smart and intuitively. I am not sure if California offers it in a public charter online, but you definately could check into it.
What many people who are homeschoolers do is buy the curriculum and do it on thier own terms, which really offers the MOST flexibility of all.
Wow! Looking forward to the read.
Post a Comment