WEEKEND festivities Part UNO:
"SAVING THE CAKE WRECK"
~
Last week, Lena had found this adorable picture online of a beautiful cake with kitties on it that she wanted me to copy for her birthday celebration. It had that wonderfully smooth Fondant frosting on it..which looks SO elegant on cakes! I love it. So, luckily I found what looked like a blissfully simple recipe for a smooth marshmallow fondant, which, by the reviews, was said to be easy as well! Easy is good for me, as I am definitely NOT an expert cake maker.
~
I made the fondant ahead of time, Friday night. It said in the directions to leave it in the fridge over night and use the next day. I did that.
On Saturday night, Aunt Millie had arrived to spend the night for Sunday's big day. After making the chocolate cakes, we got out the fondant...and it was pretty hard, which slightly alarmed me. Because I have little to no natural skill in the cooking department.. (i mean, if you could have a green thumb for cooking...whatever that it...I WOULD NOT have it.)
Anyway....we had major issues rolling it into a flat layer that could be laid on top of my cakes. It was too hard, too rough, then...after I added more liquid to it...it became too sticky, then too smooshy. So I added more powdered sugar. It firmed up...and I *almost* thought I saved it. I rolled it smooth, and tried lifting it up to lay it on my layered cake.
It tore.
So, then, we decided to put it on in pieces...which then became sort of "patch job"...and in a little while I nearly burst into tears....but then thanks to having my sister there, it turned into hysteric laughter. Instead of crying over my horribly gone wrong cake, we decided to CELEBRATE IT!
~
Take a picture, dress it up for all to see!!!
~
So here, my dear friends, is my glorious cake wreck.
Call your Friends and neighbors! I am available to make this gorgeous cake for any special occasion!
Only $39.95!! Hahah!

Truly a masterpiece, right?
I know, I know.
I have cake-master gifts of the gods.
Okay, okay, all joking aside. So we WERE left in a predicament.
It was almost MIDNIGHT on Saturday night...and a DOUBLE birthday with two anxiously awaiting young girls were in a few short hours. I HAD to do SOMETHING with it.
SO I sent the hubs out to the store for yet another (was that third?) trip to the grocery store for my CAKE-SAVING grace.
BETTY CROCKER cream cheese frosting.
~
We gently tore off all the marshmallow GLOP...and were somehow able to be left with an intact plain cake ready for frosting.
I colored that new frosting lavender, added some pink decorating frosting as well...topped it with an antique porcelain kitty from Lena's collection....
And while it's certainly no show cake, it's a HECK of a lot better!
(At least my daughter wouldn't wake up in tears at the sight of it!! haha!=)
(with a flash)

No flash..
Truly a masterpiece, right?
I know, I know.
I have cake-master gifts of the gods.
It was almost MIDNIGHT on Saturday night...and a DOUBLE birthday with two anxiously awaiting young girls were in a few short hours. I HAD to do SOMETHING with it.
SO I sent the hubs out to the store for yet another (was that third?) trip to the grocery store for my CAKE-SAVING grace.
BETTY CROCKER cream cheese frosting.
~
We gently tore off all the marshmallow GLOP...and were somehow able to be left with an intact plain cake ready for frosting.
I colored that new frosting lavender, added some pink decorating frosting as well...topped it with an antique porcelain kitty from Lena's collection....
And while it's certainly no show cake, it's a HECK of a lot better!
(At least my daughter wouldn't wake up in tears at the sight of it!! haha!=)
(with a flash)
No flash..
Stay tuned for the rest of the story...
=)





1 comment:
the waxy varnish of the white cake was so unnatural....i still wish we would've saved some of that fondant to cherish for years. yum.
Post a Comment