Tweens R Kewl.NOT.
~
(or in other words....is it too late to home school????)
~
Although I will claim no high and mighty parental stature, I will say that we have overall tried to protect our kids from mainstream America- specifically through the television. After Dane was born, one day I just snapped. We cut off the cable, and we have had no "mainstream" television for the kids to watch outside of PBS(and kid movies) ever since.
~
My cutie patootie Lena-bell, who we all know has some major sass,(but not necessarily the frass- haha!) is really for the most part innocent to all the common "pop culture" type of things many little girls her age are into. Hanana Montana is only a name to her! High School Musical has not been seen as of yet!! I am sure there are heaps than what I even know of out there.
~
So today was a fateful(or maybe just frightful!!) first... she says to me, "Mom, Gracie and some of the other girls at school like the JONAS BROTHERS." 

"Do they?" I say, trying desperately to sound like I could care less.
"What do they like about them?" I ask carefully.
"They think they are cute, and they want to marry them, And KISS them. "
UGH.Nooooooooooooooo!!!!!
"Wow! How could you like boys and want to marry boys you've never even met???" I try to sound like this is the most absurd thing anyone could ever think of.
She ignores my question.
"I like Joe." she says nonchalantly.
"He has the straight hair that is SOOO cute."
OH my HECK.
Oh my LANDS.
Oh my WORD.
SAVE me!! Since when did SIX year old first graders like boys who are TWENTY years old?? (ok, only ONE of them is 20- but seriously.)
The world of kids is seriously messed up.
I mean a 6 year old can totally be in love with ballet, bunnies, kitties, rainbows, puppies,ice cream, fuzzy caterpillars..that's all fine by me. BUT NOT FUZZY FURRY TEENAGE/ADULT POP STAR BOYS!!!! NO! Not okay with it. And yet she is unfazed.
All this in just the first week of school?
What will the rest of the year bring?
A tattoo, nose ring, and a 17 year old BFF? YIKES. Please, heaven,can I just rewind time and bring back my little baby ballerina?






2 comments:
Oh no!!!! it can't be beginning already! I loved this post--so hilarious and said so well!
OH MY--I am afraid for you, too!!! I hate pop culture infiltrating into the Innocent Little Ones of society. If it's any consolation I had a crush on a boy in the first grade--Jesse Blair. So, whether its the Jonas Brothers or Jesse Blair--it somehow begins young...
Post a Comment