Ch-Ch-CH- Changes....Fall Changes...
~
After reading two wonderful posts by two of my favorite-est home design/decor bloggers (the Nester and Color Me Happy),this past several days I have been in a fit of rearranging furniture in my house.
After reading two wonderful posts by two of my favorite-est home design/decor bloggers (the Nester and Color Me Happy),this past several days I have been in a fit of rearranging furniture in my house.
Nester challenged everyone a few days ago to "shop the house" as she calls it. That means, NO Spending money! Shop around your house for things you can rearrange to a new area or room and make them new again by just seeing them in a new light and space!
SOOO, I started by turning my dining room table wide-ways instead of long-ways in my rectangular dining room. Some may think that would be an awkward arrangement for it, but I am LOVING the change! I just don't put chairs at the ends of the table now. And instead of the matchy-matchy dining chairs I stole this huge bench from one of our living rooms and LOOK! So fun! It toally cheered me up to change it, so that's worth the $$ in my bank right there! And I thought the orangey color of the upholstery helped tie in the fall pumpkins too. No store shopping necessary! Fantastico!
Well, after I did that I realized that I had two arm chairs from the dining room to put somewhere....so I created a little round conversational arrangement here by the piano:
~
And let me note: I do NOT, I repeat Do NOT come from a family of FURNITURE CHANGER-UPPERS. When my mom bought a sofa, and the movers delivered it to the house, it pretty much stayed there for the next 20 years. So moving things around is like breaking out of furniture JAIL! The stagnancy or NOT moving things is just crazy for my brain. I feel happier being able to change things up! Even a tiny change sends a little tingle of excitement down my spine-haha!
OK, so now that I was on a roll, I just kept on moving stuff around! I had this lightbulb moment about my living room! It was driving me crazy, I didn't know why. Every time I would look out the window, which had no furniture under it... it just made me annoyed! So I moved the sofa from the wall with the painting to the window! The end tables tucked under the arms of that sofa like they were being hugged. IT ALL FIT PERFECTLY!
And suddenly, everything felt new again! I didn't reupholster, make slipcovers (both things I was contemplating!), or even paint anything! I wanted to kick myself for not moving them sooner! What was I thinking ...moving into my house, sticking the sofa where I did and not even TRYING OUT other spots? And we have lived here for OVER 4 years!! Ugh, just crazy.
So now you see how everything else just fell into place.
Here is the overall..
I was scanning her posts, and fell upon THIS one, a basic tutorial on styling your end tables/dresser/table (creating vignettes) areas. Now, why this hasn't been high on my priority list is mainly I think because I usually am always working on the "meat" of the room more than "accessorizing", so I think I can do a LOT to personalize my spaces more with that inspiring and wonderful reminder.
SOO, I grabbed a few little things and added them to my newly tucked end tables, and VIOLA!
I am feeling like smiling every time I look at them.
SOO much cozier and sweeter looking.
What a fun little FREE makeover ! I challenge you to try this out too, I guarantee you'll feel better and energized with the things and the rooms you have!
~
ttfn..





7 comments:
AMAZING!!! Everything looks awesome, you just have a magical touch! I hate change, so I never move anything, even when I hate where it is. Makes no sense... I'll keep trying to get inspired by you, until then I'll read about your improvements! ha ha
lots of love
I am so excited for you--it's like getting all new stuff for free!
I usually change my living room furniture seasonally or when the Nester says to :o) Kidding. I once changed rooms, I flipped the dining room and play room and I love it. The dining room had things in it that shouldn't have been in a dining room like a desk and a piano plus the hutch and table/chairs.
I like your new vignettes, that is something I am working on. I made a tiny one the other day and my husband couldn't figure out why I left books out and then decorated them, lol.
Have a blessed day!
Hi,I stopped by from the Nester's blog. Gotta say that I love the bench by the table! Hmm, you have me thinking that maybe that would work in my place.
Betsy M
wow--what a change! So refreshing rachie! I wonder...how would that work--changing things up--in our tiny house???
It looks wonderful! Can you do my house next?! lol
Hi Rachel,
Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog. I loved reading your blog - very fun: ) Cool furniture!
Sarah was so sweet to mention about my InStyle feature. I'm so glad she moved into my ward - we've become great friends.
Toni
Post a Comment