~...becoming a ballroom competitor, I am literally dancing my way through being a mom, wife, homeschooler, and more ~

Monday, November 17, 2008

Weekend Update!
~
I haven't had a chance to mention this, but we decided recently to put Lena in some extra tutoring at Sylvan Learning Center.(and I would be interested to hear if anyone has tried this before..) but with her need to be with the reading specialist at school, as well as the fact that she is in speech for her lisp, I just felt extremely strongly that we needed to take extra measures to get her caught up. I want to unlock her brain to reading as soon as humanly possible, so that she can enjoy all the benefits of increased confidence and Independence of being able to read her own books to herself! I am praying that this will help her learn. On Saturday we took her to the initial evaluation, which takes 2 1/2 hours. She was less than thrilled when we told her about it, but (thankfully) the teacher she worked with was very caring and nice and I could tell it was a positive experience for her because she was in chipper spirits afterward. (THANK GOODNESS!)So we will be going to hear the results of the evaluation later this week. I am anxious to hear it.
~
We decided on Sunday after church to barge in on my sister Amelia's house for the day. The cousins played, we admired all the latest in home decorating that my sister has been crafting up lately - (and doing a great job, too!!) so adorable and retro!! My mom came over and made us all creamy broccoli soup and croissants. YUM! And we made dark chocolate cake cookies using nothing but the secret healthy ingredient of a can of pumpkin, and a lot of mini M&Ms. They turned out rich and delicious! Yummerific.
~
The girls hung out and for some reason we cannot talk for longer than like 30 seconds without having something related to breastfeeding/and or mammaries be involved.(we are all breastfeeding right now)- and in reaction to that the men were convening outside around the fire pit in the freezing cold talking about manly things like politics,guns,food storage, cars, and protecting the womenfolk or something.
~
We had lots of fun, and with the super low gas prices we are apt to have repeaters more often, I'd say!
~
So, the weekend is over, we are trying to recover the house from weekend messes, start to maybe think about thanksgiving (a little) and really thinking about how I wish I had two extra days off to bedazzle the house with all my Christmasy ideas I have swirling around my head!! Hmmmm.. I guess most of that will wait until AFTER Turkey day. We'll see.
~
And here's my new rug set-up. Doesn't the new(old) rug go great?




5 comments:

Amelia said...

it was much fun and the young'ns actually cleaned up upstairs!!!

Amelia said...

btw your rug matches delightfully. I'm lovin it more than mcdonalds.

Mandy said...

the rug matches perfectly, what a find!! I love craigslist!!!

Amy Jane said...

the rug looks so good! and i think it is so great that you are taking her to sylvan... i have heard really great things about them and how they work with children!!

Anonymous said...

Rachel,
I actually went to Slyvan's Learning Center when I was in 8th grade. I have mixed opinions about it. I think overall, it was worth it because any extra help is great and sometimes you just need that push from strangers- not just parents and teachers you normally see. The downside (for me at least) was you get a different teacher every week. At least that's the way it was for me- I was going for math so maybe reading is different or maybe they've changed since then. I didn't really care for having different tutors each time because sometimes I really clicked with one and not another. Plus, I remember working in small groups but everyone worked on something different which means no one really got much individual attention.
But it really comes down to whatever works for you guys. It is definitely beneficial enough to at least try it for a while and see if it clicks with Lena. Maybe she'll like their methods- and they do give out incentives for working hard which I remember loving!