~...becoming a ballroom competitor, I am literally dancing my way through being a mom, wife, homeschooler, and more ~

Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Eye-opening...school, school,school
~
Today a sister (who will remain unnamed..and I have a lot of sisters so don't even try to narrow it down-haha!!) told me that her husband, who is a teacher (now I'm making this too easy...) had a problem at recess today. One boy was beating up another boy. Following appropriate orders and rules of their handbook, He took the boy to the principals office to be dealt with. The principal promptly sent this boy back to him, claiming that they had too many "write-ups" for the school year in the district already... so he would have to "deal" with the problem child on his own. (SERIOUSLY???) The problem child then started bothering another child!
~
I think it's pretty obvious how messed up this is. And I must mention that this is not the first time he has been reprimanded by the higher authorities to NOT follow the school handbook, for the sake of saving face for the school within that district.
(...this is just sad support of the choice I am making to take my children out of the mainstream school system....)
~
On the flip side, as I said yesterday, I am reading this absolutely fabulous book, and today.. I read something that made my heart sing!!
~
From the book, it said:
"David Elkind, a professor of child study and senior resident scholar and Tufts university, cited numerous studies showing that 'adolescents who were introduced to reading late were more enthusiastic, spontaneous readers than were those who were introduced to reading early," and 'children confronted with the task of learning to read before they have the requisite mental abilities can develop long-term learning difficulties.'"
~
So we have hope!! I know it probably seems that I have been over dramatic about this... but if you only knew the amount of heartache we have gone through with Lena and learning to read....
It made me feel so relieved! My eyes are opening to a new definition of education, and new perspective..and it is SO exciting! I am feeling so hopeful with an empowering notion that I can do more for my children's future.. their very education than any "school"- public, parochial, or private -could even hope to achieve.
~
The thing is, this is JUST the beginning! And I couldn't feel freer!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love this, rachel!
even though I teach in the incredibly competitive world of Manhattan private schools, I competely agree with you. All this "start 'em early" stuff drives me crazy. I have a child in my class this year who reads at a fourth grade level (this is kindergarten I teach), and that's all great and wonderful, but she is lacking severely in math concepts. And her parents think that, just because she reads, she is a genius! Too much emphasis is put on reading at this age level.
It's so refreshing to hear a parent take control of their child's academic welfare like you have. I am constantly told (by corporate CEOs and bossy entrepreneurs) that it is solely MY job to educate their children. I can't stress enough the fact that parents are their child's biggest teacher & motivator. Yet some people still don't get it.
There are not enough efforts being made with our kids at the kitchen table these days. And unfortunately, school teachers can't do it for you, or fully make up for it either.
So, this was a big long rant to tell you that I think you're absolutely doing the right thing! The literacy skills will come eventually, and in the meantime she'll experience much less pressure and unrealistic standards by being home with you.
Bravo!

Chapman Channel said...

Wow--I'm really impressed with all the research you are doing, Rach. You and Amelia are making the decision alot easier for us younger sib's!

Kellie said...

My sister says that if everyone prayed about it, they would find that homeschooling is the right thing for their child! It's such a big, (and scary) step... I'm so sorry Lena is having a hard time, your previous post made me cry too. It's so hard to have to fit in, when it might not be the right time to learn. Sounds like you're on the right track!
Lots of love,
Kellie

Julie Beddoes said...

I'm glad you are coming to a new perspective. Both my Daniel and Carey were late readers (they were both in the 3rd grade before getting it!) and they are now my avid readers. I hope that it all keeps working out for you!