~...becoming a ballroom competitor, I am literally dancing my way through being a mom, wife, homeschooler, and more ~

Thursday, December 20, 2007

The 12 Days of Christmas Countdown!
Day 5- Obsessing over Christmas Cards.
Late last night, after doing some night owl grocery shopping, I eagerly checked my mailbox as I always do during this season and was greeted by a lovely single Christmas card, amongst a few other random pieces of mail. This Christmas card was the nicest one I have received all season so far; fine, heavy paper, a very old well known stationary name, elegant in it's design, upscale in it's overall appearance. The family's picture was very refined as well, each member quite perfectly groomed, with outfits that were not matching at all but flowed very stylishly. I must've just looked at it for a good five minutes straight, taking in the sheer quality of the lovely thing. I just get so much out of those fine little details.
And then, for some strange unexplainable reason, even though it was already midnight, I got this overwhelming urge to work on my own cards. I stayed up for another hour last night assembling more of my large stack of cards to go out. It's that OCD/Martha-spirit that flares up in me every once in a while and I just can not control myself! I might be sleep deprived the next morning but by-golly - I got some more cards made!! And I try to attend to those finer details as well. In style, presentation, photo, etc.. I must admit I am somewhat unhappy with myself in this years photo, but it was the best we could do under the circumstances. (We got the pic taken on Turkey-day- an extremely busy day where I was unable to spend the special time I usually would to hair and clothes and makeup, etc..)
That all sounds pretty odd I'd imagine to many, but it is just one of those things I obsess over every year. I love great cards, I love sending and receiving them. There is something in that once a year contact that can either say a lot about someone, or very very little. Why more people don't spend more time on them I'll never understand. I think it's a valuable and wonderful holiday tradition. I also love reading the letters that often accompany cards. And some may feel that the letters are nothing but a brag letter, but how else can I get a glimpse into old friends lives than by such a letter? And while it seems more friends are just sending photo cards with no letter each year, I start to really cherish the few letters that I do get. So, when my friends and family get my letter, know that I prepared it with love and thought, and that I am hoping to receive something from you too this wonderful Holiday Season.

No comments: