~...becoming a ballroom competitor, I am literally dancing my way through being a mom, wife, homeschooler, and more ~

Wednesday, December 12, 2007


Last night we went to see Sweeney Todd in the version touring w/ Broadway Across America in our city. This was the cast, except that Sweeney was a different guy. I think everybody else was as pictured here. It was quite an experience! I really didn't know what to expect other than I knew it was a murder mystery story, and we spent at least the first few songs trying to piece what we were learning together to try and figure out what was going on. It really seemed more like an opera because it felt like it was mostly singing. It was great music, that I am sure if I got the soundtrack to I'd probably love once I became more familiar with it. I think I was so focused on figuring the story out that I wasn't able to fully appreciate the beauty in the music.

One thing I found really unique was the fact that the cast also was the orchestra (or at least helped the orchestra) and played throughout the performance as they acted. It was something I have never seen done before. It also made me think about how the actors auditioned had to not only act and sing, but be quite good at these instruments!! Quite impressive.

Also, the background scene you see here never changed throughout the performance. It was the same the whole way through. They'd just toss a table cloth over something to "pretend" they were at a table having dinner, etc.. It required a lot of imagination, and was really interesting to me that way. I will say it was scary enough that I would NOT want to see the new R rated version of the movie coming out soon with Johnny Depp(even though I love him). It's surely going to be super gory and scary! Maybe an edited version? I am interested in whether they'll keep all the songs in the movie, or just do an adaptation.

Anyway, the performance was intricate, scary, entertaining, funny, and creepy, and I really am glad we got to see it!

No comments: