~...becoming a ballroom competitor, I am literally dancing my way through being a mom, wife, homeschooler, and more ~

Sunday, December 02, 2007

Time for The Holiday Hurl
Well, after thanksgiving, I read about an online buddy, Kristy Glass, and thier "joyfull" experiences after that day. I felt so sorry for them and couldn't really remember the last time a really bad bought of stomach flu had crossed our doors. We all had a pretty rough time with fevers and colds, and the like, but not a run of throwing up to bother us. Well, unfortunately- our TIME HAS COME. Or CAME, I should say. About a little more than 24 hours ago to be exact.
It started late friday night, around 1:30 in the morning as a delerious 6 yr old daughter tried climbing into my bed, with wet barf-chunky hair. I smelled it and thought she hadn't done it yet.
"Are you needing to throw up honey?" I asked anxiously.
"Don't crawl into bed with me, run to the bathroom!!"
She then started crying and wandered back to her room only for a moment, to come to the realization that she already HAD.
"Mommy, I DID throw up!"
I came into her once gorgeous little princess room, and her bed is COVERED, every blanket, her duvet, her matress, the floor, her "fur real" kittie she was sleeping with is so chunky that I have to immediately spray air freshner ON it to keep myself from hurling right then and there.
I quickly take her at this ungodly hour to the bathroom to rinse off in the tub, to wash the chunks out of her hair. As she is in the tub, I start frantically stripping her bed, throwing the chunky kittie into the sink and just as I do, she hurls again- this time in the tub. She immediately weakly crawls out, and lies in the fetal position on a towel, hair completely yucky still.
By this time I had started the washer and with her already full tub that I had to drain and clean out, there was no hot water left for her to wash out her hair. SO then I actaully had to force the poor little sick girl into a cool shower to attempt washing out her nasty hair. Oh, that was NOT fun for her or I.
Finally, I got her bed remade, and with partially clean wet hair, a large "barf bowl" at her side and a very sick little girl, we attempted going back to bed.
That night was quiet except for the intermittent wretching that I would go check on, wash the bowl out, and lay back on her bed.
The next day, I survived feeling quesy but thinking it was mostly just due to the lack of sleep I had gotten. And to make things worse, that night we were planning on a big date night of dinner out and going out to see the a Holiday Pops performance by the Orchestra downtown! I had these tickets for weeks! I held out hope, called my nanny to see if she could still come, and wished for the best. I finally realized that all hope was lost when I felt a little worse, and then the absolute gross-out happened. It was my turn for the toilet time. With horrible throwing up, I was out for the night, and I was SOO SAD! I luckily was able to find some friends who wanted to buy our tickets from us, and at least get some good use out of them. And I spent the entire night dehydrating on the sofa, in a cocoon of blankets, gazing woozily
at my Christmas tree.
I survived the night, and thank goodness, am feeling more normal today. So far I have only had toast all day, but hey I am grateful for that. My big hope is that we have gotten sick now and so when Christmas comes we'll all be healthy and happy. And since we were sick,we couldn't go to church today, which by default allowed us to be home to watch our City's Christmas parade go down our street in front of our house, which was fun.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh no, that sounds AWFUL! Hope you guys are feeling better...one of the only "good" things about the stomach flu is how quickly it usually passes!