~...becoming a ballroom competitor, I am literally dancing my way through being a mom, wife, homeschooler, and more ~

Monday, October 13, 2008

Make your own Address Signage!
~
Sooo, we have lived in our house for 3 years, and for ALL that time I have hated our nasty little metal address numbers that were on the front porch of our house. U-G-L-Y!! I have wanted to buy one of those fancy custom ordered signs, but have never wanted to spend the $100 bucks.
Sooo, a year or so ago I tried hand painting a small wood one that turned out so horrible we are now using it to hold up an uneven piano leg.
~
I realized what I needed to do to get the numbers/letters looking good was to actually transfer/trace them onto the sign I painted.
I had this big frame that the glass had broken out of, and so I had Mark cut a thin piece of wood to fit inside the frame.
~
He then spray painted it black for me.
Next, I printed out the address the size I would want to paint it, and rubbed graphite (pencil) all over the back of those numbers/letters.
I then used a pen to trace over(with a lot of pressure)it onto the wood. It left me with my guide for painting! I then used a thin, LONG script paintbrush and painted it in white.
We finished it with a few coats of spray on clear coat.
~
And here you go.


4 comments:

Lor! said...

So This is the same exact technique I have used to make signs in our house! People think it is absolutely amazing that it is done "free hand" but it really isn't that hard with the guide pressed into the wood! It looks gorgeous! I am so glad we got to spend a little time together. Baby Elsie is such a cutie! Vie is still talking about her! Love ya!

That Girl said...

Wow! It looks amazing! You should Etsy it. (Is that verb?!)

Amy Jane said...

another cute project by the most crafty person i know... and when i say crafty i mean brilliant! oh, and by the way... thanks for commenting on my blog, that website you linked is sooo cute!

The Cochran Family said...

2 chic! I duv duvvy DUV it!!!