~...becoming a ballroom competitor, I am literally dancing my way through being a mom, wife, homeschooler, and more ~

Saturday, October 11, 2008


Unexpected Motherly Bonding
~
Today I was running around doing a few errands with Lena, when I caved and told her we could make a quick stop to the pet store to ogle the cute furriness. We often do this, so it's not super out of the ordinary. But I haven't been since I had Elsie.
~
As I strolled passed the fat funny rabbits(I have secretly always wanted a big furry lap bunny for a pet..., I smiled at the parrots, and marveled at their bright colors.
A darling fluffy little grey kitten tugged at our heartstrings.. oh so sweet! Lena and I both pet it lovingly.
Then on to the puppies. A creamy white Pomeranian! Oh, someday I will have that little doggie! I LOVE them so much. They are just adorable.
~
Then, the unexpected occured. Nonchalantly I peered into the rats/mice/gerbils/hamsters area- not a place of much interest for me. And all of a sudden I observed a mother rat lying on her side with a handful of naked tiny little rats nuzzled up to her, pumping her for food, and wiggling their little legs. While completely aware of my own usual revulsion for these tiny creatures, I was overcome with the feeling of our commonality.
~
I could just envision a little Disney ratatouille mommy rat lifting her head and nodding at me in understanding, as I would say to her. "I'm with ya. I know how you feel right now. How many hours apart are ya on feedings? We're about every 2 hours still." I would say with a half smile rather tiredly.
~
Is it wrong for me to be bonding with mother rats? Is that like a problem?
~
Because I am oddly not that weirded out by it.

3 comments:

Amy Jane said...

OK, TOOO FUNNY!!

Chapman Channel said...

I LOVE this post...I can relate!!! I am NOT lying...I had a very similar experience and I"m sure at the SAME PET STORE!!! AUGH! I saw a hamster...with like I swear thirty babies nursing frantically at her and I was also thinking...I can relate! haha

That Girl said...

I will never forget when my dog Coly had puppies. One kept crawling off of the blanket, and Coly dragged him back twice. On the third time, she picked him up and PUT HIM IN A CORNER BY HIMSELF. She let him cry for a few minutes and then brought him back to the blanket. He didn't leave again.

But the best part was when I SWEAR she gave me this exasperated look that said, "Kids! They just don't listen!"

It made me want to get pedicures together. Girl power.