~...becoming a ballroom competitor, I am literally dancing my way through being a mom, wife, homeschooler, and more ~

Wednesday, October 15, 2008


S.O.S. Some. one. HELP.me.

~

Why did God make me a mother when I have virtually ZERO/NADA/NO practical mothering/cooking skills whatsoever? SERIOUSLY. I wonder this at a time when this blog is my time out from(screaming on the top of my lungs in frustration- which is always SO-ho-ho effective) the kitchen, as they sit around the island at yet another (gag me)"kid dream dinner" of mac and cheese with apple slices and chocolate milk.

~

Sit isn't the right word, though.

~

More like play musical chairs, run back and forth from the bathroom while shrieking, basically turning my kitchen into a 2 man mosh pit- bouncing off walls and slapping each other with random found objects. This they are doing in a "happy" way, a.k.a. willingly working together. Not more than a half hour earlier some different type of crazy was happening in a "not happy" way. They were just as willing participants, but with more of a "I-can't-stand-your-very-existence" slant.

~

I know some acquaintances of mine find it oh so shocking to realize we don't sit down to a gourmet dinner every night with perfect manners and genteel parent child conversations...I mean, we really "seem" that way- or so I've been told.

~

In point-of-fact, although my kitchen houses the loveliest chandelier ever, it might as well have a tent and a big top for how much more like a circus my family acts in it.

~

I take full responsibility for the fact that I - in 12 years of marriage and now 7 years of parenthood- have never gotten a reasonable GRIP on the magical marvel of mealtime. It is an excruciating part of my day. I dream I was a fabulously skilled 1950's housewife with all sorts of (you-eat-all-your-peas-

or-you-can't-leave-the-table)discipline and betty-crocker bakeriness up my perfectly puffed sleeves, but I am a Hopeless Wreck in this arena.


HOPELESS.

WRECK.


And that is a fact. I also stink, stank, stunk at disciplinary eating.(which means: getting kids to eat stuff other than the 5 horrible meals they eat over and over and over again.)


I GIVE UP.



5 comments:

That Girl said...

Ahem. First of all, since when does MOTHERING deserve to be "slashed" with cooking skills? You can be the worst cook in the world and it doesn't reflect nary a bit on your mothering skills. Are your kids healthy? Growing? Then they're eating habits are fine. Hey. Mac n cheese with apples is protein, grain, dairy and fruit all in one meal. Fabulous.

This country serves beans and rice two meals a day. Every day. That's it. And I think they're all excellent mothers. ;o)

Rachel H said...

Thanks for that comment! That actaully DOES help to be reminded that my children can grow up healthy despite not having a varied diet.haha.

Amelia said...

Rach...You should do Stephs thing and blend vegetables and mix them into everything. i don't do that. And yesterday I was like trying to count how many fruits and vegetables addie ate and I couldn't identify one.

Mandy said...

At least I know I'm not the "only one"... Your kids are healthy and loved, what else do they need, not gourmet meals, they'd absolutely hate that! You are doing a great job!

The Cochran Family said...

You are a wonderful seeet mamma, even if you don't have the Clevers dinner every night!! So give up and relax!