MASTER BEDROOM RENOVATION: Part 1
Okay, I am anxious to start posting about this MONSTER of a project that I began in January...I don't remember when, it's all a blur now of tape and paint...It is a MAJOR labor of love, as I cannot survive living in it as hideous and ugly as it's been for the past (ack!) 2 whole years. It has been one of the last rooms on my priority lists, partly because of HOW MUCH needed to be accomplished in there.
There is a fairly large attatched vanity room and bathroom that is unavoiadably included into this project. So that makes it even longer to accomplish. We got a quote on my "dream design" for the bathroom renovation and the LABOR alone is $10K!! So we'll see about how much and what we do first as far as major changes go. A new vanity is a MUST, and that has not even been ordered yet.
As you can see below, the color we needed to rid ourselves of was a dark purpley red that was OLD and yucky. The windows were adorned in some lovely miniblinds that may at one time have also been red, but have since faded tomore of a dark mauve- barf color. And believe me, the pictures here make it look MUCH less hideous than it really was. 

My first step was to paint all the walls a very clean and bright shade of cream, called sarartoga sand. New blinds and stark white paint on all the moldings are like a breath of fresh air! After that, I commenced painting a mural design that I half dreamed up half copied from a couple of others I had saved for inspiration. The mural has taken FOREVER, and I am still not done. But I am mostly done in the bedroom now, so at least you can begin to see my vision!
The decorative painting over the doorway I will do over all the doorways as well as a large version over our headboard. The trees are monchromatic, as you can see, and very light in shades of white and gold, with shades of brown for the landscape part. The colors I matched to the two fabrics I had purchased to use in this room. I will be making new bedding as well as matching window treatments. As soon as I come to a stopping place on my mural, we will move ALL the furniture out, and start painting our original wood floors that are marred and very OLD, a diamond pattern of the cream and a dark warm brown, followed by LOTS of clear coats.
I am just so excited to see the changes in here! I will be posting as we continue on with this humungo project, and it will be fun!
And here you can see the edge of our new blinds and trim, so bright!
I love white painted birds, so they are scattered everwhere.
And of course I would be entertained by your reactions and thoughts to the new look!





13 comments:
Your bird (pigeon) is great. I love it...I love the white on the cream...truly loverly.
...it's a DOVE!!! punk.=)
eeep! it's lovely rachel! such a romantic idea!
Your skills amaze me! It looks soooo pretty, I can't wait to see how it looks when it's done! By the way, I like your headboard- where did you get it?
Really nice concept and execution. Have you considered a light glaze over the finished mural?
it looks so great! you seriously amaze me!
Tyler,
Thanks for your comment! I am a fan of your work! I'd love to know what you'd recommend as far as a glaze.
Betsy,
Thanks! We got the headboard as well as a matching dresser in Virginia at a store called The North Carolina furniture company..that's all I know offhand, but if you want more info I can try to find it!
Well , I would do something simple, a white glaze that would add another level to wonderful the feeling of establishment that these old houses have anyway. I would just use a very matte finish, neutral base, latex acrylic paint (Sinclair makes one for stucco that is incredibly durable) with no added colorant so it is fairly transparent and I would brush it on and scrub it off just leaving a residue. Usually this kind of a process takes off small amount of the hand painting, which I always love. The overall effect would be that of a old fresco with leaching minerals and a bit of oxidization, still very fresh –not dirty. I would give some protection to all the work you are doing there too.
I can’t really tell from the photos… does the ceiling have a bit of sheen to it? Anyway I would try to take care of the ceiling before you get to the floor for obvious reasons. In fact if you want to never have to paint it again just paint it out with that great silvery gray from the mural, and do the same glazing process over that. Keep the glaze fairly thick and more opaque at the corners on both the walls and the ceiling and it will soften that transition between these surfaces that is usually more that a bit wavy. This, I think, would also add to the crispness you mentioned you are striving for.
Thanks for the input. I want to do exactly that. I honestly have little experience in glazing techiniques, but I know it is the way to acheive a great patina. I'm game, and hey- my house is my own place for experimentation!
If you decide you want some pointers just let me know.
I will let you know when we start, and I would LOVE pointers from an expert!!
you guys crack me up"nice bird",,,,"it's a DOVE!!!" gotta love the batterings of sistas! Anywho...nothing short of brilliant! (say with high and mighty british accent) "You are very accomplished"- I just watched "Becoming Jane" hehe
Can't wait to see more pixs
Post a Comment