AUUUUGGHHHGGHHGHH!! I GOT IT!!!!
~
I have no intention of bragging here, but seriously I have like a Good Luck Decorator Fairy sitting on my shoulder when I head out to shop for stuff for my house, or a project I am starting on. Mind you, it only works when I am alone and looking for my house. I have gone out with clients searching or on my own hunting for fabrics or accessories or furniture for a clients house, and the fairy has been no where in sight. But seriously SO MUCH of my house is just DEAL after DEAL after DEAL, that I have been miraculously led to. I know I have got to sound a like an overzealous cookie saying it, but I swear some guardian decorating angel is watching over me.
Here's the scenario. Today the DH is home, so I wanted to get out by myself for a bit and do some initial searching for my baby's room fabric. I headed over to your regular, everyday JoAnn's ETC.. (you know the big superstore ones?) just to browse the fabrics and see what I could see. I know of other fabric stores with a much higher end selection (and PRICE POINT), and I would eventually look there too as I went along. For the past few weeks I have had a color scheme in my head for the nursery. But I know, also, that when a budget is being considered, fabric (which is usually MUCH more expensive than paint, and harder to find) must be the top priority over color scheme. So I walked into that store telling myself this, which I must say is how I usually start all my projects-
~
"Don't be stuck on any one certain color. Be open to colors and patterns...see what you see. If and when you see something great, you'll know it. It will call your name- and you will know." (I know that's getting a little to sound like I am the fabric-whisperer or something- but seriously that's what's in my head)
~
So the first thing I do is go to the home decorator fabrics and glance at the flat fold clearance section, check out the current sale going on, then I stopped and looked at the back wall of fabrics. My eye is drawn to the red tags...as I know that mean CLEARANCE- which could mean good things for me. And the next thing I know this fabric in a COMPLETELY other color than what I had imagined just POPS out at me. It is vibrant. I do a double take, as it is listed at about 80% off. This is unexpected! It is not what I could have even imagined, or thought of. I pull it down a get a good look at it,
~
"Oh my gosh." I am thinking in my head- "This is fantastic. It is RAW SILK, which just exudes glamour and richness, and it has this gorgeous velvet burnout pattern in the most deliciously perfect pattern for a baby nursery!!! ACK!" I couldn't believe my eyes. In shock I think to myself, " I COULD not have found my fabric in the first 5 minutes of shopping in the FIRST store I check?" (this is also why I think I DO have luck though- I do NOT second guess myself. If I see something and it POPS, I do not pass on it- it's GO time and not time for second thoughts. Decisiveness is one of my talents in this area)
~
So I FORCE myself to look at each and every other section and fabric, trying to keep an open mind and not obsess over the fact that someone else might suddenly grab the whole bolt of the other fabric and run away- taking it away from me. It was calling my name and looking like manna from decorator heaven!!! 10 minutes or so later, an older foreign lady that works in the dept. helps me get the fabric down... and to my DELIGHT there is plenty for my needs for the room!! And let's just say, instead of paying about $750 for it, I paid a tiny bit over $100! OH my goodness I am SOO psyched about it- and I am totally keeping it a secret until I unveil the finished DESIGN!!! HAHHAHAHAHA~ I want it to be a sweet surprise. It is unexpected and unique and gorgeous all at the same time. EEEEK!
~
Now I have to settle on a wall/accent color- and go to town!!!





4 comments:
Ok, you have made me very curious! I want to see that raw silk! Please post pics of what you do with it, too! I just left a site with a baby photo contest for pictures of decorated nurseries and I think I'm going to have to have ten babies to get around to all the different styles I want to do!
yay! can't wait to see it!
I can't wait to see what you're planning. I'm sure it will look amazing, you've got a great eye for style.
NO fair, I stopeed myself from scrolling down so I could finish the story before I see the picture...but no picture...common not even a sneak peek??? HUGS!!!!
Post a Comment